Connecting strobe light

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Connecting strobe light

Post by GeoffK »

Hi. The leads on my recently acquired strobe light are too short to reach the battery. Is there a suitable source of power under the bonnet.
Statler
Forename: Stephen
Surname: McClune

Re: Connecting strobe light

Post by Statler »

Geoff
No. 4 fuse is live on my ‘78, I usually just hook it on there an earth it on the alternator bolt.

HTH
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

A word from me about my experiences! With the MGB batteries being a long way from the engine I used a power source from the fusebox. I found that the strobe rpm readings (and perhaps the dwell etc) were unreliable. I've never found out why, but eventually used a spare 12 volt battery to get around the problems. The strobe was a Sealey item. Using a spare 12 volt battery everything worked as expected.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Just dont do what i did; buy a new strobe light and get perplexed why the reading kept changing, not realising the thing had an advance control at the back which kept getting knocked and moved. :?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Bumpa »

I found the lack of a good 12v terminal under the bonnet a nuisance, so on my V8 I have fitted one of these https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk ... x-two-stud and have run a starter sized cable from there down to the main terminal on the starter motor. Thus it connects directly to the battery. The box is mounted with a screw to the pedal box (see photo) and with the snap shut lid is quite safe from accidental short circuits. Not only is it a handy power source, but I charge the battery from there too.
Attachments
Battery Terminal.jpg
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Post by GeoffK »

Thanks for your inputs. I suppose the easiest thing to do, in view of the amount of times that this operation will be done, is to park my other car close to the front of the B and use the other cars battery as a power source for the strobe.