Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: MOT Exemption.

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Dave
'V5c says 'historic ', so no MOT required.'
This is not necessarily true at VED exemption is from Date of Build and MOT exemption is Date of First Registration. Owners of very late MGBs need to watch out for this as they were obviously built before the factory closed in October 1980 but they were not released for sale until January 1981 and some were still for sale unregistered in 1982.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

Pete, I've checked the official Government site and MOT exemption applies from the build or first registration date and so, provided DVLA have the correct year of manufacture on their records then MOT exemption is the same as for historic tax classification.
My BGT was built in October 1977 but registered in February 1978. I sent a Heritage certificate to DVLA who amended the year of manufacture to 1977 which is the year which will be taken into account when applying MOT exemption.
Anyone who has an MGB registered post 1980 is advised to apply for a Heritage certificate and forward it to DVLA to have the manufacturing year amended. This can be done any time. I had mine amended in July 2017 so on 3/4/18 (1/4/18 was Easter Sunday) I visited the Post Office and changed the taxation class to historic and taxed it because it was on SORN with absolutely no problems whatsoever.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Post by Tom Ward »

Hi, sorry to hijack this thread but it's most relevent to my current status.

I have a 1976 car so it's over 40 years old but hasn't been on the road since it turned 40 (gosh three years without an MGB). I'm now almost ready to get it back on the road - there's cosmetic and paint work to do but it's mechanically sound and safe to drive (although my local garage have a bit of welding to do and they can check the rest of the car over for me). I haven't registered it as Historic, it's SORN and only insured as laid up.

I'm a bit confused by the Gov.UK website which states I should have a valid MOT or exemption certificate and other places but not the Gov.UK site suggests I need insurance. In the old days of taxing cars I always had to show my insurance certificate at the post office. I assume because it's all automated, the computer will check I have insurance and reject my application for 'tax' as it's currently not insured on the road. Also, the MOT exemption I believe to be a self declaration and not a certificate.

So, my simple question is do I have to go to the post office with my V5, an insurance certificate and an MOT exemption self declaration or do I just need the V5 to make it historic and deal with the rest when I take it off SORN and insure it the day I need to drive it to the painters?
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Take the V5 to the Post Office when you're ready to tax it to change the tax class to historic. Be mindful that some Post Office staff may not know the correct procedure. You'll probably have to declare exemption to tax it. The MOT on my Stage 2 BGT expired on September 19th last and it's MOT status on the DVLA website states "No Results Returned" in white letters on a green background which means it's exempt. I did nothing and didn't have to declare exemption but it is still taxed.
The website is confusing.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Post by Tom Ward »

That’s interesting mine says no results returned. I’ll still have to get the v5 changed. Thanks for the help
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

If the MOT status is as you say then it must be classed as historic as historic status is not automatic.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Guys,

Just reviving an old thread.

Don't forget the 1 April following the year in which your car reaches 40 years of being registered.

I have just returned from the Post Office , having signed my V5 to register a change to historic class for my August 1980 registered car (unmodified with original shell & engine) which i put on SORN 31 October 2020. I was given a receipt which shows VED of nil for the year commencing 1 April 2021.
(I had already run off & prepared a declaration to say an MOT was not required as the vehicle was 40 years old). The lady behind the counter said this was not required to be submitted to Swansea with the form nor did she ask to see my insurance certificate). She said that the post office receipt showing nil VED, which includes my reg number would not have been issued unless the data base recognised that the vehicle was 40 years old , that it was becoming historic , that an MOT wasn't legally required ( i know one is obliged to keep the vehicle roadworthy & i do so) & that the insurance was in place.

Shame it is pouring with rain, otherwise i would be out & about in it today!

Cheers

Charles
1980 Roadster
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

If the DVLA records show "No results Returned" in a green box then the vehicle is MOT exempt.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
John 37
Forename: John
Surname: Manders

Post by John 37 »

As an amusing aside, my 78 B has been laid up for 20 years. It was in daily use until that. I put it back on the road last year without an MOT. The gov website says my car hasn't had it's first MOT.
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

That would be right. The computerised MOT history only goes back to 2006. Since your car hasn't had a test in all that time the record is correct. When I put my Dolomite back on the road after 26 years laid up, the same thing happened.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.