best workshop manual

General MGB discussion
idlewild
Forename: mark
Surname: creed

best workshop manual

Post by idlewild »

As a new member & MGBGT 1975 new owner could somebody give me a steer on the the best workshop manual to purchase and the correct edition number please as there seems to be so many publications etc. Thank you. Mark
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: best workshop manual

Post by Bumpa »

I have both the official British Leyland workshop manual and the Haynes manual. Neither is perfect. The factory manual assumes you have a garage full of special tools as it is aimed at the dealers of the day. The Haynes manual is a bit skimpy on detail, for example, "Reassembly is the reverse of disassembly" - if only! As far as I know there are no specific editions for different models. Just one book to cover from 1962 to 1980. Differences with later models are often in an appendix at the back of the book.

One invaluable book to have is an official BL parts book. This shows every component in exploded drawings, with part numbers and notes on what fits which model years. Some commercial parts suppliers also produce excellent parts books and these are usually free. Off the top of my head I could recommend Moss particularly. Their catalogue has not only the exploded diagrams and details like the official parts book, but also a large section on MGB improvements.

For superb photos and a complete breakdown of the changes to the cars as the years went by, you can't beat Anders Clausager's "Original MGB".
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

I would agree with Mike for the most part - with one exception. I have '72 BGT (with a spare axle from Mike I think?). I have had this from 1978 so have an early Haynes manual which covers the car well. I also have the Haynes MGB 50th Anniversary workshop manual which is definitely a little sketchy on the earlier cars detail. I am not certain whether this Anniversary edition is the same as the ordinary Haynes manuals currently available, but if it is, then it may not cover everything as well as the earlier editions.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I too have Haynes and a factory workshop manual. I find the Haynes easier to find stuff in and more detailed in text for the DIY bloke but sometimes the bit of your car you want to renovate isn't covered if its peculiar to your model year. Also find the exploded diagrams in the Moss catalogue useful, they generally cover all variants.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
idlewild
Forename: mark
Surname: creed

Post by idlewild »

Thank you all for your advice & expert opinion.
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

Idlewild,

While not a workshop manual, I'd recommend "MGB & MGB GT: Your Expert Guide to Problems & How to Fix Them" by Roger Williams. It's well illustrated and written, containing lots of know-how.

If you're new to old cars, an early 2nd hand edition of the AA's "Car Care: How it works; how to look after it" is a perfect place to start. It has theory and practice sections for each system in the car, even the remoter parts.

Tom
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I would also add the MGB Restoration Manual by Lindsey Porter into the mix, as this tells you how to dismantle, check for wear and recondition components. I got the info for the tube rear axle mini overhaul from here.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965