Technical MGB discussion
Andrew Stacey
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Stacey
MGCC Member: Yes

67 Gt floor panel.

Post by Andrew Stacey »

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can help me please. I have a March 67 Gt, which require a N/s Floor panel. It is possible to make a repair, it's at the rear where they often go, but I'd prefer to replace the whole thing to save having to take everything out again when I find another hole, My problem is that it's a 3 synchro, narrow transmission tunnel model, and it would appear that the only replacement panel that all the usual retailers supply is the Heritage/ Steelcraft part, MB21L, which does not have the threaded holes for the seat attachment or any drain holes. In most other respects it appears to be the same. Does anyone know where one may obtain a version that has these ? One can drill holes for the rear seat bolt mountings but, as I'm sure you know, the front ones go into the cross member, so there is no access to the other end of the bolt to add the necessary nut. I could also weld the correct size nuts to the floor for each one, but getting it accurately lined up is rather tricky and I'd rather not have to if possible. I am also wondering if a later, narrower pan, which has these fittings, could be used and the resultant gap filled in in some way, which may prove easier than that which I have just described ?
Any thoughts, suggestions gratefully received.
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: 67 Gt floor panel.

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

See my comments on my Steelcraft experience in recent Oil pressure hose thread.

I would try to see one first if I were you.

G
Andrew Stacey
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Stacey
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: 67 Gt floor panel.

Post by Andrew Stacey »

Hello Graham and thank's for the reply. Having researched this quite thoroughly, it would appear that one does not have a choice as there are no alternatives to the ' HZA415P (Rimmer Brothers) or MB21 L/R (Everyone else), and these would appear to be the same panel both being made by 'Steel craft'. Not great but, as I'm sure you've found, one has to make do and mend, sometimes, with these cars. As it's the L/H side it doesn't matter that it doesn't include the clips for the wiring loom etc. and as for the lack of seat mounting holes, well they'll have to be very carefully copied from the original and nuts welded in place. Hard to see that for a little more money someone couldn't sell a version with everything included, but then I remind myself what it was like trying to find parts for my Zagato bodied Lancia !
I'll let you know how I get on,
Thanks again and all the best.