Newbie checking in

General MGB discussion
Paul Heffernan
Forename: Paul
Surname: Heffernan

Newbie checking in

Post by Paul Heffernan »

Hi all,

I'm in the process of purchasing a MGB, so strictly speaking I'm an imposter as I don't actually own one. However, you seem like a decent bunch, so I'm sure you'll not hold minor details like that against me.

My car history is pretty varied, mostly down to longevity; but I've never owned a classic and I'm pretty excited at the prospect. The aims of my affection is a fully restored '74 "B" The structure has been subjected to a jolly good thrashing and the coachwork has been treated to a bare metal repaint along with a whole host of new parts/refurbs inc a fully rebuilt engine, differential, rewire, replacement carbs (Weber) and a fancy dan manifold and exhaust. She's been finished off with a lovely mohair hood and hoood cover along with fresh carpets and leather seating. Externally, it's had the chrome bumpers removed and Sebring style front and rear valances fitted.

So, in short this is no concourse original, but should be a decent and tidy hack for a good few years. My current plan is to only use it on high days (can't say holidays as I'm recently retired so every day is a holiday now) I can't post pictures as it's not my property (yet) but I'd be interested to know what the general view of non standard MG's is with the establishment? Also, are there any local regular meets? I live just south of Birmingham.

Anyway, that's me. Be prepared for plenty of Newbie questions!
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Newbie checking in

Post by George Wilder »

Paul
You are doing the right thing by joining before buying and hopefully joining the MGCC - owning a MG car is not required for membership.
You are not an imposter in any way.
You can join on line here https://www.mgcc.co.uk/
The Midland Centre of the MGCC here lists events and meetings http://www.mgccmidlandcentre.co.uk/
The MGB Register of the MGCC here for technicalhelp and MGb events https://www.mgb-register.org/
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Paul
I have no problem with any mods to an MGB (except perhaps the Anniversary and LE cars) so I wouldn't worry about the work a previous owner has done. The are enough MGBs still around not to worry about diluting the gene pool! Here are a couple of picture of my own modified MGB Roadster, the first taking part in the MG Car Club Midland Centre Welsh Rallye (which is a tour) just before going to France where the second picture was taken near Albi deep in the south.
I hope the purchase goes ok and you can post some pictures here soon.
Merry Christmas
Pete
Attachments
SDC14994a.JPG
Cresswell 2.JPG
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Peter Cresswell

Oops the pictures seem to have posted in the wrong order. The first is near Albi and the second in Wales.
Pete
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Paul Heffernan

Post by Paul Heffernan »

Thanks both.

I wasn't too sure how I would be greeted, as a non owner that is. Appreciate the kind words.

Lovely pictures Peter, oddly yours looks quite a bit like the one I'm looking at. (Check your garage quick ha ha!)

I'm currently trying to decide if I REALLY want one. I do like the idea; I really liked driving it and would enjoy pampering it, but I'm seriously wondering how much I'll use it. My current thinking is to buy it a give a couple of years, I asume I'd not loose a shed load if I decided it's not for me.

If I do get it (or another one) I'll look into joining the clubs and going to the meets for sure.

Thanks again for the welcome.
Malcom & Julian
Forename: Malcolm
Surname: Sperring-Toy

Post by Malcom & Julian »

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum!

I am also something of a ‘newbie’ having only bought our 1967 MGB Mk1 this past summer. I am also retired and the ‘B’is something of a fun car taking me back to my youth in Hall Green/Solihull area in the 1960’s. Our ’B’ is a sunny dry day only car and is currently in winter hibernation in the garage and won’t be coming out to play until Spring.

Following our purchase, we took it to Moorlands Classic Cars located. In the Staffordshire Moorlands hills that are close to where we live. Not being mechanically minded we had the entire car checked out and renewals and additions made such as electronic ignition which massively improved the starting at a reasonable cost. Although not purely concours, it is in very good, reliable and safe condition which is so important. Moorland Classics are exceptional albeit probably too far for you.

Stone Classic Cars located in Stone might be of interest although again, may be a little far for you. It is very informal and run by Pete Cresswell who contributes a lot to this site. They meet on the first Monday each month.

Regards

Malcolm
MGB Mk1 1967
Peter Cresswell

Hi Malcolm,
Thanks for the plug forthe Stone Classic Car Group. I've attached more info should others be interested.
[attachment=0]The Stone Classic Car Group v5.pdf[/attachment]
Pete
Attachments
The Stone Classic Car Group v5.pdf
(569.19 KiB) Downloaded 504 times
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Paul Heffernan

Post by Paul Heffernan »

Malcom & Julian wrote:
> Hi Paul
>
> Welcome to the forum!
>
> I am also something of a ‘newbie’ having only bought our 1967 MGB Mk1 this
> past summer. I am also retired and the ‘B’is something of a fun car taking
> me back to my youth in Hall Green/Solihull area in the 1960’s. Our ’B’ is a
> sunny dry day only car and is currently in winter hibernation in the garage
> and won’t be coming out to play until Spring.
>
> Following our purchase, we took it to Moorlands Classic Cars located. In
> the Staffordshire Moorlands hills that are close to where we live. Not
> being mechanically minded we had the entire car checked out and renewals
> and additions made such as electronic ignition which massively improved the
> starting at a reasonable cost. Although not purely concours, it is in very
> good, reliable and safe condition which is so important. Moorland Classics
> are exceptional albeit probably too far for you.
>
> Stone Classic Cars located in Stone might be of interest although again,
> may be a little far for you. It is very informal and run by Pete Cresswell
> who contributes a lot to this site. They meet on the first Monday each
> month.
>
> Regards
>
> Malcolm

Hi Malcom

Thank you for your kind welcome. I see you were local to me at one time, I live in Solihull and went to Hall Green College back in the 1970's. Seems a lifetime ago now!

As for travelling up to Staffs, well it's not that far. However, I am yet to finalise the purchase of my MGB. Fingers crossed it will be sorted soon. A journey to the Staffs meet could be on the cards, perhaps in the Summer?

Regards

Paul
Paul Hollingworth
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Hi Paul
Don't worry about loosing money on an MGB, that's most unlikely, but depends what you gave for it in the first place, I suppose. The closest local group to you in Solihull is either the Arden MG club or the group that meets at the Millwrights Arms in Warwick. Please see Midland Centre website for more details (link provided by George). You don't have to be a member of the MGCC to attend but we hope that we can entice you to join. Why not pop in before you buy the car, I'm sure they will be pleased to advise you. Is the car you are considering advertised anywhere ? If you can point us in the right direction then people on this forum can advise regarding value for money. From what you say then we are talking about a roadster which are more expensive that a GTs and at 1974 could be either chrome or rubber bumper, the later being worth less.
A quick plug for the Midland Centre Welsh Rallye that featured in Pete's piccie, places are filling up fast so we have had to go back to the hotel to ask for more. We expect to close entries at the end of Jan 2020 but don't let that put you off we might be able to squeeze late entries in. More details on the website.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Paul Heffernan

Post by Paul Heffernan »

Thanks Paul,

I can't point you towards an advert, as the car is being sold privately. It's a '74 MGB and had chrome bumpers orginally. It's been subject to a bare metal refurb/respray by a particular and fastidious owner (who I know personally) The fact I know the owner goes a very long way.

I've driven the car, it drives and stops true and straight; there are no bumps, rattles or knocks. The entire car has been subject to parts and features having been either replaced/refurbished or improved, including an engine rebuild including and additions such as new interior trim, carpets, mohair hood, electronic ignition, weber carb, stainless exhuast, new wiring thoughout etc etc etc. It's done a handful of miles (about 500 or so) since the refurb. It's not a perfect concours car, but it is without doubt a solid 2 car.

In terms of value, to some extent that's subjective. However, I suspect if the car was being sold by a dealer it would be iro £2k more. However, altough I wouldn't expect to gain much, equally I don't anticiapte a loss of any great concern.

Ref the meets, I'll certainly be up for those once the better weather is with us. I'd need to own and run the car for a while before considering a full blown rally, one for the future perhaps?