General MGB discussion
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: New Member Question On Tyres

Post by Vic Butler »

From what I can remember John when I changed the fuel pump many decades ago there were just fibre washers both sides of the banjo.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Blucky
Forename: John
Surname: Treck

Post by Blucky »

Hi Vic

I've fixed the Fuel Pump now and since it was the Old Type with the Fully Threaded Inlets and Outlets, there is a Fibre washer between the Fuel Pump and the Banjo and the recess on the Bango needs to face away from the pump, for the Bolt to go into which also needs a Fibre Washer on it

So that's all done and dusted now with no Air getting in and the Fuel Pump cutting out like its supposed to do

Having done that I cleaned the Spark Plugs which were in a bit of a State and then I put them back and tried to Start Her and I almost had her running with assistance from the Key

But then it went pfut and wouldn't fire up after that

Having pulled a Spark plug, it was producing a very weak Orange Spark, so tomorrow I'll get some new Spark Plugs What type should I get?

Any ideas about anything else I can try?
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Have you checked the points etc before swapping plugs? I use NGK plugs but I can't remember what type without looking but any reputable motor factor will know or there will be a list to peruse.
Check the points first though. Even a bit of scraping the surfaces will probably work. Years ago I revived a dead E type by rubbing the rotor arm brass on a tyre (don't sandpaper it) and shorting the points with a screwdriver with the ignition switched on of course.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Standard spec MGB uses NGK BP6ES or Champion N-9Y. Gap 0.035 in 0.90mm
Cheers,Charles
1980 Roadster
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

There is another possible cause of a weak spark John and that could be down to the wrong coil being fitted. There is a resistive wire incorporated in the wiring harness and the coil is a 6v one. On the offside inner wing are 2 round black relays. When the starter motor is operated the coil is fed 12v via the rear one and the front one is bypassed. When the engine is running the front relay feeds the coil 6v via the resistive wire and the rear relay is bypassed. If a 12v coil is fitted then unless the resistive wire has been bypassed the coil will have only 6v. You can check the voltage to the coil with the ignition switched on and if the supply is via the resistive wire then the voltage should be about 6 but you would have to substitute the coil for the correct ballast resistor type. If the coil voltage is 12 with the ignition switched on but without the starter running then the resistive wire has been bypassed.
3 years ago on MOT day I started my MG but when I released the key from the start position the engine stopped. Eventually I traced it to the front relay so I replaced it and all was well. The original round relays are no longer available so square ones have to be used. They're available from MG suppliers.
Last edited by Vic Butler on Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Blucky

Post by Blucky »

Hi Charles

Thanks, those are the plugs I've got in at the moment so I will get some more
Blucky

Post by Blucky »

Hi Vic

Great idea! I never gave the Rotor Arm or the Points a thought because with the Jag I'm much more used to working with Fuel Injection and cannot remember the last time that I had a Car with a Rotor Arm and Points

What did you meant by shorting out the points with a Screwdriver as I have never heard of that before
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

John, you must have posted your thread while I was still writing my previous one re the coil.
Switch the ignition on and flick the points open with a screwdriver blade and there should be a blue spark.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Blucky

Post by Blucky »

Hi Vic

Yeah! that must have been what happened, I'll have a go with that Screwdriver trick tomorrow and also clean the Rotor Arm

Strange how She was trying to Start and nearly did when assisted by the Self Started but then She went phut and after that She just did not want to know anymore
Blucky

Post by Blucky »

Hi Vic

Good News! I've got her running!!!!

80psi Oil Pressure and ticks over like a bird, except for one big problem, water is jetting out of the Top Hose where the hose clip is and where I think it is joined onto the Thermostat Housing although I cannot be sure

Any ideas See Photo

[attachment=0]IMG_7085.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
IMG_7085.JPG