Mk1 Seat frame needed

Technical MGB discussion
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Mk1 Seat frame needed

Post by George Wilder »

The so called MGB Mk1( pre 68 ) had non reclining seats.

The seat frames are listed under separate frame numbers - whats the the difference?

I need a drivers (RHD) seat frame base - mine has collapsed - any offers?

They are only made of mild steel tubing. The holes for the diaphragm clips elongate with time so becoming slots.These slots create a stress point which leads to failure. So please only ones without elongated holes.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
George Wilder

Re: Mk1 Seat frame needed

Post by George Wilder »

Still needed!

Maybe someone with an American import has changed the seats and does not now need the front offside passenger seat (LHD)?
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

George,. I am sure you will have considered this, but a mild steel tubing frame is surely a prime candidate for a bit of MIG welding? Pity I am in Scotland otherwise I would offer!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
George Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Ian
Nice thought but with a snapped tube in one place, cracks appearing around other elongated holes and the frame side to base weld fractured it has really gone to far. If one tries to straighten it another crack appears.
Its only done about 250 to 300k miles over 53 years and Don Hayter says they (the MGB) was only designed to last 7 to 10 years.
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Geoff Norcliffe
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Norcliffe

Post by Geoff Norcliffe »

Hello George,
While visiting MechSpec the other day I enquired about mk1 seat frames and they have some in stock. MechSpec, if you don't know them, supply new and used parts for Bs and Midgets and are situated between Bawtry in S. Yorks and Gainsborough on the main road. Their phone number is 01777 818283 . Owner is Dave Parker. Not too far off the A1 for you on your trips to Yorkshire or they can ship one down to you. If you need any assistance from this end you have my email address.
Cheers! Geoff
George Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Geoff
Thanks for asking - when I asked them by email last week they denied having any.

I have located a brand new unused old stock original seat frame at about half the price of a new one.
Secondhand ones often are badly worn around the diaphragm holes which is the start of failure problems.

The Yorkshire scene is changing. My friend died in a helicopter accident athe end of May - i did a personal eulogy at the funeral in Carlton in Cleveland and because of the Lords Lieutenants role another at the memorial service at York Minster for 1200 people. Been a sad but busy summer. Barry did get to address the Vintage Register at thier do in Pickering in late April - really enjoyed the evening.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam