Advice needed

Technical MGB discussion
Stephen Aitken
Forename: Stephen
Surname: Aitken

Re: Advice needed

Post by Stephen Aitken »

Anyone have any ideas about the windscreen washers. At the moment mine aren’t operationally (yes I have filled the bag). Is it a fuse I need to check..I’m thinking also because my ignition light is on it may not be getting any power through? or could it be a faulty switch on steering column?
Any help appreciated
Thanks
Stephen
MGB GT LE 1980
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Stephen,
The washer motor is supplied by the green circuit.
Assuming the motor itself works,(which is easily checked by removing the two connectors off the contact tabs & then applying a power source directly & briefly to the motor to see if it functions ),check that the contact tabs are clean & also inspect the jumble of connectors on the inside wing where the main harness joins the body & gearbox harnesses. The washer motor shares a double green connector which has 4 green wires joining. As per one of my earlier posts there may be corrosion here.The washer motor shares the same fuse as the wiper motor which works after a fashion, so if the washer motor functions as above the answer must be in a poor connection in the wiring.You may have a loose connection on the multi connection plugs behind the dash, but if these have not been disturbed / modified a fault here will be unlikely as not exposed to the elements. The wire on this side is light green with a black tracer but difficult to see as forms part of a bundle with many others.
A wiring diagram will make things much clearer for you!
Good Luck!
Charles
1980 Roadster
Stephen Aitken

Post by Stephen Aitken »

Looks like my wiring is stuffed..car is turning over but cooling fan doesn’t engage, wipers slow and no washers with a nice ignition light stuck on. I’ll check the alternator for charge but I’m assuming that if it’s not producing enough the cooling fan won’t operate..don’t want to risk an overheat

Any suggestions would be great..electrics not my strong suit
Thanks in advance
S
MGB GT LE 1980
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

The cooling fan on mine doesn't kick in until the temperature gauge indicator is about halfway between normal and hot.
Is the ignition light wire, the small one in the alternator plug, connected properly? You should check the plug connectors for any corrosion and use an electrical switch cleaning spray. It works.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

The cooling fan operation is triggered by the thermostatic switch at the top of the radiator and therefore only closes & makes a circuit when the radiator water gets really warm as indicated bt the temp gauge in the car.Mine cuts in when the gauge is probably 75% of the way between N & H.Unless it is a hot day & the car is stationary or working really hard on a steep hill, it rarely cuts in.If you don't have the car running long enough for the thermostat at the top of the engine block then hot water will not be passing through the radiator. You can easily check if the fan works by removing the leads off the back of the thermostatic switch & join them together with the points of a pair of pliers taking care not to touch the bodywork.( I would use pliers with insulted handles).You will of course have to have the ignition on. The fan is protected by one of the line fuses below the fuse box.As I have commented before ensure all contacts are clean including the stub ends within the line fuse holder. (If you have the original car hand book it details all the fuses & their functions.
Cheers Charles
1980 Roadster
Stephen Aitken

Post by Stephen Aitken »

Alternator giving no charge ordered a new one and new washer pump - hopefully this works!
MGB GT LE 1980