MGB replacement engine mystery

General MGB discussion
Andrew Bishop
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Bishop
MGCC Member: Yes

MGB replacement engine mystery

Post by Andrew Bishop »

Hi. New member here, hello! Just joined at the NEC Resto show in March, met some very NI ce helpful people on the MGCC stand! I have just acquired a 1979 MGB roadster which has been stored for many years. The engine appears to be a replacement unit with engine number DBL230 108314 fitted in February 1987 by Mobile Auto Services in Pershore Worcs. I have a warranty booklet by Delta Remanufactured Engines, but I can find no other technical info about this engine, nor can I find anything about Delta online. It has 1800 cast into the front left side of the block / crankcase.

Can anyone provide any info on this engine or its origins please? Is it a "proper" MGB engine?

Many thanks!
Andrew.
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Re: MGB replacement engine mystery

Post by George Wilder »

Andrew
Not heard of the firm who reconditioned your engine however a picture could help.
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Puzzling one this! I've had a bit of a search and as far as I can see all of the "official" numbering would start with either G (for MG) or 18 (for 1800cc). This number looks like it might be from a numbering system used by a reconditioner? D would be Delta and BL would be British Leyland? If the block has 1800 cast into the side then it should be an 1800cc "B" series engine as fitted to MGBs, but its origins may be a little difficult to decipher without the original engine number. These 1800 engines were fitted to a number of other vehicles of course (Morris Marinas, Sherpa vans, BL 1800s etc.). If you can see the casting number on the cylinder head that should provide a clue to its origin, and after all it is principally the cylinder head which is important for the MG.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Andrew Bishop

Post by Andrew Bishop »

Hi thanks for the research! The engine number is on an aluminium strip riveted to the block between plugs 2&3, it may be that the 'previous' engine number prior to recon is cast into the block under this, but I'm a bit reluctant to go tearing it off just yet.

The head has "Pat No 56539" cast into its top surface on the corner next to the rocker box cover at the front left. It has "18" cast into the top surface at the back right, and "E" cast into top surface on back left (all as seen from driver seat). Do these mean anything? I can't find anything else!

I'll try to upload a picture or two.

Cheers
Andrew.
Andrew Bishop

Post by Andrew Bishop »

[attachment=0]image.png[/attachment][attachment=1]image.png[/attachment]
Here's a couple of pix (I hope!).

Cheers
Andrew
Attachments
image.png
image.png (903.22 KiB) Viewed 14779 times
image.png
image.png (1.54 MiB) Viewed 14779 times
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Andrew,
the engine number aluminium tag is in the right place for an original engine number, so unless you have another aluminium tag beneath that one (unlikely), then the original tag must have been removed when the engine was rebuilt.
The engine looks more or less like an MGB engine, but has a few items which I'm not familiar with (but which could well be fitted to other years of MGB). For example the cast lug on the thermostat housing is something I've not seen before. I wouldn't worry too much about bits and pieces like that though, when an engine gets rebuilt it may be fitted with all sorts of items if the rebuilder wasn't too fussy about originality. You can always fit original parts if you wish, most things are available either new or second hand. If the basic block/crank/head turn out to be not from an MGB then you can fairly easily find a genuine MGB engine, and this might be the best thing to do if you are considering a full rebuild (rather than rebuilding an engine with unknown provenance).

I will see if I can find anything relating to those cylinder head casting numbers,

Ian F
MGCC member
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Update: that cast lug on the thermostat housing looks to be typical for late '70's MGBs! So that's positive!

Ian F
MGCC member
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

I think the cylinder head casting numbers you have provided are all visible outside the valve cover? I think you need to take off the valve cover (two nuts only) and have a look inside. You should see something like the numbers here - http://www.flowspeed.com/cylinder-ident.htm. This listing is mainly aimed at USA MGBs, but should give you an idea of what to look for - perhaps CAM1106?

IanF
MGCC member
Andrew Bishop

Post by Andrew Bishop »

Hi Ian, many thanks for all this, much appreciated! Yes all the numbers I mention are external (you can just see the Pat No to the side of the thermostat housing in the pic). I'll take off the valve cover rocker box and see what's inside.
Cheers!
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

The cast lug on the thermostat housing is for the air pump on US cars.All late rubber bumper B's had the same housing irrespective of destination.
The cooling system is filled through the plug on the top. Takes ages.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine