V8 brake pads in standard MGB

Technical MGB discussion
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth
MGCC Member: Yes

V8 brake pads in standard MGB

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

A bit of advice please. Following Pete Cresswell’s post on the MGB forum regarding brake pads. I recently fitted V8 pads to my MGB but noticed that the backing plate is asymmetric which begs the question of which way up should they be fitted. I took a stab at it, the brakes work fine and the car recently passed the MOT so they are stopping and releasing OK and not pulling either. They were TRW pads from David Manners. I noticed they were in the box in pairs so I fitted all four the same way up. Andy Robson had some fitted to his B recently too. I quizzed the mechanic who fitted his but he couldn’t remember which way up he put them in.

I have to say I haven’t noticed any great improvement in stopping power even though they have had 200 odd miles to bed in. The braking on my B has always been more than adequate because it has a servo. I recently fitted new discs (made in Redditch) with a cheap make of Pads. My drivers side squealed like mad when the brakes got hot. Now that has stopped with the ‘proper make’ V8 pads. (so far so good)
Attachments
Brake Pads.jpg
Brake Pads.jpg (36.87 KiB) Viewed 5546 times
Last edited by Paul Hollingworth on Sun Oct 16, 2016 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: V8 brake pads in standard MGB

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Paul
I must admit I didn’t notice they are asymmetrical when I fitted the V8 pads to my roadster, although I used EBC Green Stuff pads and they might use a symmetrical backing plate. Perhaps the TRW pads have multiple applications and the backing plate used is so shaped for different calipers.
I’ve had a bit of a search on the internet and I can’t find a specific answer to which way the pads are fitted, so I would suggest that you contact Victor Smith of the V8 Register. His email address can be found in the V8 Register notes within Safety Fast.

Turning now the consideration of improvement, the V8 pads are about 12% greater in area so the improvement won’t be monumental, but they should be provide better braking for longer when you really need it. I didn’t drive my B for very long before I put new discs and the EBC pads in so I can’t really comment on the before and after effect. The Green Stuff pads do need a bit of heat before they start to generate better braking, but after the first couple of applications I have found them to be really good.

Another consideration is the material the discs are made from, as this gives different levels of 'bite' for the pads. It is all too easy to think cast iron is cast iron! There are different grades of cast iron suitable for brake discs plus a whole range of alloys and these days composite materials. Each offer different characteristics and coefficients of friction.Although a bit technical in the later paragraphs, this will give some idea of the complexity in choosing a material for brake discs.
http://www.iaeng.org/publication/WCE201 ... 2-2326.pdf

Needless to say, the more you pay for a pair of front discs the better they will be at stopping the car, but it is also important that the pads and discs are compatible.

My first MGB was a 1966 roadster that really flew – I could get the speedo needle round to the main beam warning light! And it would easily out-accelerate an MGC plus the top speed was much higher. Going down Sutton Bank in Yorkshire (very) fast, I caught a car up at the lower hairpin and the brakes faded away completely! I think the pads might have been the cardboard coloured ones that Halfords used to sell. Oh and the fact there were 3 of us in the car didn’t help!

Also see these threads relating to issues with brake pads:
http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=4&t=278
http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=4&t=217
http://mgbforum.mgb-register.org/viewto ... ?f=4&t=168
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965