General MGB discussion
Remyd
Forename: Remy
Surname: Dubois
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery

Post by Remyd »

That’s interesting! I’d like to find out more about the history of mine.
I managed to trace down one of the previous owners, learned quite a bit about how he restored it but that’s it.
Remy Dubois
1971 MGB GT
Randy Forbes
Forename: Randy
Surname: Forbes

Re: Factory record copy Personal Export Delivery

Post by Randy Forbes »

Randy Forbes wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:46 pm
Tom Brearley wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:25 pm Mine was PED to Bavaria originally. There's some info in the BL Passport to Service which came with the car.
I think my '67 MGB GT traveled a similar route; BMIHT certificate declares Personal Export Delivery, USA. I do have a German logbook that (more or less proves...) it remained in Germany into 1988. The last (USAF) base parking sticker was issued in July 1995, so a good 27+ years in service (I feel it was left to rot thereafter).

I acquired it last August (2020) in very rusty, but VERY COMPLETE & ORIGINAL condition. My intention is to return it faithfully to its showroom condition__refraining from any performance/comfort modifications (as I've done with every other MGB I've ever had).

I've been collecting some of the harder to find parts, but I am wondering how I could possibly renovate this (the German VIN plate)...

jw-05.jpg
While not "stamped" with numerals like the original, I did get a local guy (see business card, he's also on several of the MGB Facebook pages) to laser etch a couple of VIN plaques for me.

In the magnified (+) pictures, the "character boxes" appear wavy, but in 1:1 scale, that effect does not present itself.

Unfortunately, not a lot of other progress to report, as an old friend has commissioned me to do quite a bit of work on his Superformance 427 Cobra replica.
Attachments
IMG_6592.jpg
IMG_6589.jpg
IMG_6587.jpg