General MGB discussion
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Number Plate Rules

Post by Vic Butler »

I read this on a Land Rover club forum today and it is genuine.
It's been always assumed that once a vehicle has been taxed as historic then black and silver number plates can be fitted. When I ordered a set in 2016, for the Land Rover, the supplier entered the registration number into his computer which contacted the DVLA and was given the ok.
However, this was never the original idea and now DVLA have changed the rules. It's not retrospective because there are too many vehicles on black and silver plates so the rules apply to vehicles manufactured o or before 1/1/80. When a vehicle becomes historic, if it's constructed after that date black and silver plates will not be permitted. Effectively the cut off date of 1/1/73 for black and silver plates has been extended to 1/1/80.
The registration number on the Land Rover and MGB GT are 1963 ones with no year letter. The black and silver plates suit the Land Rover but I have the black and silver plates from the Tornado Talisman that donated its number to the MG, and they don't suit a rubber bumper B so I'll leave the reflective plates on.
This ruling is the DVLA 's way of getting out of the hole it's dug without too much embarrassment.
Number plates bearing the EU symbol are not permitted to be fitted now, but this isn't retrospective either.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Re: Number Plate Rules

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks for sharing that. A sensible change to the rules.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

I'm adding this to Vic's thread from about a year ago so's the information's all in one place.

When I registered my 1978 Roadster as VoHI in April 2019 I noticed the option to use non-reflective plates once Historic status was granted, provided DVLA had approved their use.

DVLA had never meant for the old plates to be used on newly registered VoHI on the forty year rolling basis, and once they realised their mistake, set a 1980 manufacturing date cut-off.

I e-mailed DVLA this morning to ask what I needed to do to get their approval to use the old plates, and at first got this misleading reply:

'Since April 2016 vehicles manufactured before 1 January 1976 can display the older style plates.
You must:
have applied to DVLA, and
be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class.

I trust this is of assistance to you.'

I replied saying I thought the 1976 date mentioned was wrong, and asking again how to 'apply' for permission, and got this:

'It may help if I explain, as of 1 January 2021 Vehicles made before 1st January 1980 may display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates (for example, white, silver or grey characters on a black plate). This is fixed at 1st January 1980 and not on a rolling year basis.

From 1st January 2021 vehicles manufactured before 1st January 1980 are also able to display traditional ‘black and white’ number plates. You must:
• be registered within the ‘historic vehicles’ tax class.

If your vehicle is already registered within the 'historic' taxation class you do not need to do anything further before displaying the change of registration.'

So although the DVLA website explicitly says as well as being VoHI you have to have approval to use the old plates, DVLA enquiries say being VoHI is enough, there's no need for approval as well.

Has anyone got DVLA's approval to use old plates?

How did you do it?

Or am I the only person in or out of DVLI who's ever got that far reading their Rules?
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

When I ordered black and silver plates for my 1975 manufactured Land Rover the motor accessories shop put the registration number into their computer and was told black and silver plates were allowed..
That was it.
The don't suit a rubber bumper MGB but they look right on the Land Rover..
Both my vehicles have undated numbers originally on 1963 registered vehicles.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

Interesting to know the number plate makers/suppliers have access to the DVLA yes-or-no machinery.

And bonkers that two DVLA sources, within an hour or so of each other, send answers contradicting both each other, and the Rules as noted on the DVLA website!
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

"but I have the black and silver plates from the Tornado Talisman that donated its number to the MG"

Vic, tell us about the Tornado Talisman please! Was this the car which was rebuilt by MG Motorsport?

Best wishes for Christmas and for 2022 to you and to all forum members.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Evening Ian.
A bit OT but here goes.
Tornado cars were built in Rickmansworth , initially as kit cars for the Ford 100E, Triumph TR2 or BMC A Series 948cc engines. In 1961 they manufactured a complete car with the Ford 109E 1340cc engine as used in the Classic. There were 2 versions, the standard Talisman Tourer GT with the standard engine and the GT with a Cosworth tuned version of the same engine. In 1963 the engines were replaced with the Ford 1500cc Kent engine as used in the Cortina. Production seems to have ceased in 1964.
The one that gave it's number to my MG was a standard Tourer GT which had been used for historic rallying. It was basic inside and noisy.
Unlikely MG Motorsport would have rebuilt anything with Ford engines. I wonder if it was a Rochdale Olympic which used both Ford and BMC engines. In the late 1960's a mate had one with the 1622 MGA engine fitted.
Merry Christmas to all. I hope to sort my MGB GT out next year now that I am getting more flexible after my hip replacement last June.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Vic.

You can find the car at the bottom of the "cars for sale" section on their website here:

https://mgmotorsport.co.uk/for_sale.htm

This is a copy of the images there:
9616.png
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Vic Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

That's the same type as my mate's which gave it's number to my MG. His was red. The engine had obviously been bored out. I suppose they took it on because of its rarity.
DVLA records show it being untaxed since April 2014 and the last V5C issued 30/4/13. Engine capacity shown as 1340cc.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT