Re-shell and DVLA

General MGB discussion
tribonnie
Forename: Richard
Surname: King

Re-shell and DVLA

Post by tribonnie »

Hello all. I am considering buying a donor roadster in order to rebuild with a new heritage shell.

So my question is ...... what do i need to do to make the new shell “DVLA legal”

Is it just a case of putting the Car, Body and Commission Tags from the donor car into the new shell so the new shell numbers match the V5C ? Or ....... is there a different DVLA process I need to go through ?

Have looked on a couple of other forums but cant seem to find the answer from someone who has actually done it recently. I say recently as I know the DVLA are tightening up on all the classic bike and car registration / re-registering.

Thanks Richard
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Re-shell and DVLA

Post by George Wilder »

As long as you are reshelling a roadster as a roadster or a GT as a GT providing you have a current V5c there is no need to inform the DVLA. The DVLA does not have information on Commission Numbers or body numbers only car numbers (VIN number) and engine numbers but even then the engine does not have to be the same one.

The DVLA only gets fusy if you change GT to a Roadster or vice versa and try to register it as such.

So buy a donor with an up to date V5c, change body for body of the same type, absoutely no problems - no need to tell the DVLA anything. Maybe worthwhile getting an MOT when finished just to get the rebuild.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I think I would transfer the original chassis number plate otherwise the MOT tester will pick up that the car doesn't match the DVLA record on his computer. But George is quite right, it is allowable to use a bodyshell of the same type as the original. That's how Frontline get away with their "Abingdon" rocket ship.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
tribonnie
Forename: Richard
Surname: King

Post by tribonnie »

George, Mike thanks for info, Richard
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Were you intending on retaining the original registration (benefits being no annual MOT and no cost for road tax) or as a new vehicle (benefit being a new registration no but disbenefits + more hoops to jump through) ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Steve R
Forename: Steve
Surname: Read
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Steve R »

My Vin number relates to a roadster yet I have a GT. The v5c is correct to the number on the car vin plate but a recent heritage certificate says the vin relates to an automatic roadster my car is a manual GT with od.

Any ideas how this could have arisen?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Steve,
I'm afraid this sounds like bad news. I would like to hear what others think, but it seems to me that you may have a car constructed from parts of unknown provenance. Worst case scenario is a stolen car, or possibly a written off car.
Before spending any more money on it I think you need to clear up it's identity. For example, if it turns out to be stolen you don't own the car even if you paid money to the vendor for it.
I would start with the person you bought it from and try and work back.
Sorry for this depressing perspective.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Steve R

Post by Steve R »

The provenance of the car is known for at least 25 years or more. I will be doing some sleuthing
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Steve,
I hope you get a good resolution. Keep us updated - we might all learn something.
Did you buy from a dealer? If so you have some leverage if it was mis-sold.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Steve R

Post by Steve R »

Nope private. But known and had owned it for 10 years