hard top

Technical MGB discussion
anthony fisher
Forename: anthony
Surname: fisher

hard top

Post by anthony fisher »

does any one know where I can get windsceen brackets.Not the hood type clips.Make of hardtop uknown.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: hard top

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Anthony
Having had two different hardtops for my roadster - a Clubmans type and a Works type - both had different front catches. The Clubmans type used a hook that was tensioned using a long bolt which went into threaded holes in the front rail of the hardtop and the Works type which uses an over-centre catch (same as the hood?) which is secured by small bolts into the front rail of the hardtop. Both use the catches on the top of the screen that the hood uses.
Other hardtops may use a variety of fixings depending on who made them.

May I suggest you try the following:
1. Post a photo on the forum to see if you can get a positive identification of the hardtop.
2. See if the catches used by the hood can be used or adapted. These are available from Brown & Gammons (probably Moss as well) as part Nos AHA8491 (Catch Hood to Header Rail - you will need 2) and 53K126 (Screw catch - you will need 4). From the Picture in their catalogue these look like the same catches and fixings that the Works Hardtop uses. I can't see the actual windscreen part of the catch listed but I would assume you will have this still attached to your windscreen frame.
3. Try contacting Honeybourne Mouldings near Stratford on Avon (http://www.honeybournemouldings.co.uk/index.htm ) as they make the Works Style (or Clubmans) hardtop to see if they can help.
4. See if something like these can be adapted (http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... anel-clips ).
Hope this helps!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
anthony fisher
Forename: anthony
Surname: fisher

Re: hard top

Post by anthony fisher »

I have had a look at honeybourne and I think it is one theirs.i can now see what the brackets look like and I am in the process of making them.Thanks for your help.