Middle exhaust section with Bomb silencer

General MGB discussion
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth
MGCC Member: Yes

Middle exhaust section with Bomb silencer

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I have a 3 piece exhaust system I'm looking to replace the first box with a bomb type to prevent it hitting the ground so often. The existing silencer seems to put up with this but it makes the joint with the cast manifold leak. Does anyone know where I can get one from at a reasonable price, mild steel will do. Moss have a Falcon stainless one for £77 plus pp. I didn't really want to pay that much. I'd consider a good second hand one if anyone has one.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: Middle exhaust section with Bomb silencer

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi Paul
Having looked at the ones on ebay, they mostly are for 2.5in diameter pipes so too big for an MGB. Try here, item 2 in the diagrams and about £42 plus p&p:
https://www.ukmgparts.com/catalogue/mgb ... less-steel
You will need to check they fit your existing pipes.
Other suppliers might have similar so check prices.
Cherry Bomb were the traditional suppliers of bomb silencers so might be worthwhile search for them.
My MGB has the Maniflow Rally system which has a bomb centre box but the pipework is slightly larger than the standard system, but I have been told that Maniflow can supply/make any diameter boxes to order, so they might be worth contacting.
Have you tried shortening the flexible strap just after the centre box, by re-drilling the U shaped clamp to pull the system up closer to the floor? Finally you could just take the silencer out and replace it with a straight pipe. This amplifies the well known MGB note a little!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Hi Pete
The system was a cheap one and doesn't fit particularly well. The U shaped bracket you mention is about an inch too far back so I've had to space it out on the body side. The rear of the first silencer is only about 1/4 inch from the floor but at the front the pipe is about 1 inch from the relief in the cross member so could do with being higher. I've undone the manifold nuts and jacked it up then re-tightened them. The first time it contacts the floor it goes back to its original position. I was hoping to correct this poor fitting with the new middle section. I will check the pipe diameters before I buy. The Brown and Gammons system is a 5 piece so I doubt whether it will fit
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Grumpy2
Forename: Gary
Surname: Hope

Post by Grumpy2 »

I'm about to change my entire exhaust system for a lager bore one. My current system fits fine and doesn't catch the floor at all and we have far too many speed bumps here. I'll be taking it off early next week (or possibly sooner??) if you fancy the dive up to see/hear it. I;ll be selling it on eBay starting at £25 if its of any interest. Oh - just as a 'by the way' if you did want to come up to inspect it I recon I could have it off the car in about 15 minutes. I'm just not of Wrexham - Hereford is about an hour and half away.

Gary