Dashboard illumination

Technical MGB discussion
Dave Linkson
Forename: Dave
Surname: Linkson
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Dashboard illumination

Post by Dave Linkson »

I find the Halogen 60 55W headlights adequate and comparable to modern day standard, found them good when motoring back up the M20/M25 from Dover to Surrey
May change over to LED dash bulbs in near future, but have seen a comment that the length of the LED bulb for oil/temp gauge can stop the needle from turning, so have to pull bulb out slightly...
Dave Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

Have seen a report in December's Practical Classics mag, that it's illegal to fit front & rear sidelight/brakelamp LED bulbs to a post 1974 classic that have no approval marks, unless LED's came as standard.
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Dave

see Victor's updated article LED article here - was also as an earlier version in April SF! It explains the legal stuff as well as the bulb applications

http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/140 ... 140530.pdf
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Dave Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

George Wilder wrote:
> Dave
>
> see Victor's updated article LED article here - was also as an earlier
> version in April SF! It explains the legal stuff as well as the bulb
> applications
>
>
> http://www.v8register.net/FilesV8WN/140 ... 140530.pdf
> George

very interesting, thanks George
David Halliday
Forename: David
Surname: Halliday
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by David Halliday »

I have started with the LED bulbs. So far I have fitted them to my front parking lights and the interior light on the centre console. They work well but you do need to be prepared for a very cold, stark, white light like you see in many modern cars. A warm white led festoon globe would probably be preferable for the interior light. I have bought warm white LEDs for the house, so they are available.

I have tried LED stop/tail light globes but so far, I seem to have trouble with the contacts lining up. A job for another day.

Regarding the headlight globes, it is good to see that John Watson has had some success as all the reports that I have read so far suggest that the LED replacement headlight globes are still not great.
David Broadhurst
Forename: David
Surname: Broadhurst
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by David Broadhurst »

Following on from dashboard LED lights and Roger Cooper hoping for improved headlights may I draw your attention to my article in November Safety Fast which reveals all.
David Broadhurst
1967 Mk1 GT
ROGER COOPER
Forename: ROGER
Surname: COOPER

Post by ROGER COOPER »

Reply to Peter Cresswell to thank him for his most comprehensive analysis of headlamp requirements.

Current units are old style sealed beam - probably Wipac - and as dim as a TOC H lamp (using main beam all the time does not seem to embarrass oncoming drive a bit!), some of which I put down to losses in the wiring. I had already decided to investigate the state of any connectors under the front cross member and elsewhere, and also the earth connections if any. My preference is always to have soldered joints so corrosion cannot reduce connectivity and I like also to have earth cables returning to a common point rather than rely on the frame or bodywork to act as part of the circuit. I do this when wiring up one of my vintage motorcycles and the results on a 6 volt system are quite impressive!

I may consider fitting relays as close to the lamps as possible to shorten the length of the high power connection and to take the load of the switches.
Roger Cooper
1974 MGB GT
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

For those on this thread that wish to upgrade their headlight H4 bulbs, Euro Car Parts have a 50% off offer on Philips Xtreme +130% bulbs at the moment. See:
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-a ... -287501929

(Copy and paste this URL into a browser if it doesn't open directly from the forum.)

These are rated at 60/55W so will be fine with a standard loom (providing it is in good condition) and provide 130% more light (as the name suggests) giving more range to the main beam. The light is also whiter. Quite a good offer at £19.99 per pair.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Dave Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

I have Wipac halogens with 60/55w bulbs, no need for relays, but this wattage is the maximum to go to before adding relays. They are adequate and now compare to modern day headlamps.
The LED's look good and will go that way soon, although have read that the LED bulb when inserted into the dual oil/temp gauge stops the needle from turning so has to be pulled out slightly.
John Barnacott
Forename: JOHN
Surname: BARNACOTT

Post by John Barnacott »

I concur with the comments about LEDs in water/oil guages; the bulb interferes with the travel of the one of the 'needles' (can't remember which one), but withdrawing the bulb holder a couple of mm solves the problem.
Incidentally, I sourced the bulbs from China a couple of years ago. Cost me about 25p for each bulb (!), had to buy 20 to make up minimum order, shared surplus amongst colleagues.