LH overdrive overhaul

Technical MGB discussion
David Ramsbotham
Forename: David
Surname: Ramsbotham

LH overdrive overhaul

Post by David Ramsbotham »

Hi Everyone,
As part of my on going refurbishment of my 1975 MGB I am now tackling the overdrive unit. I am following guidance from the University Motors videos but sadly real life is not quite the same as car maintenance on line!

I need to undo the none return valve plug but it is stuck tight and requires the 2 pronged special tool 18G1118 to free it up.

Does anyone know where I can buy, hire or borrow afore mentioned tool or have some great diy invention to take it’s place?

As always many thanks in advance, cheers, David.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: LH overdrive overhaul

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi David
I had my overdrive done by ODSpares in Rugby. The reason is you can't test it after you have done any work, and as you have discovered you need a fair few special tools to do it dismantle and rebuild it.
In my case the Overdrive had been functioning on low oil for around 1000 miles as we carefully drove it home following the loss of the oil through the hole where the wire goes into the casing for the solenoid. Ever since I bought the car the OD had been lazy to engage when hot and similarly to disengage. It never stuck in OD though so I just put up with. ODSpares stripped it down, replaced the seals and filters, checked the clutch lining, replaced the solenoid and tested it. They found the pressure was way too low (about 250psi) and corrected that to 430psi. The bill - just £80 including VAT. They even fitted it to the gearbox when I went to collect it.
A highly recommend company and really not worth messing with an OD yourself.
See here for details: http://www.odspares.com/
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
David Ramsbotham

Thanks for the reply Peter, but not a feasible option I’m afraid as car in pieces including gearbox drained and overdrive solenoid and pressure relief valve already out!
David Ramsbotham

Since my search for tool 18G1118 has been fruitless I decided to make my own tool using a piece of bar steel and 2 small nuts, bolts and washers. Careful measuring and bingo I have a tool that works and plug is now easily unscrewing!
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi David,
If you need any parts for your overdrive, ODSpares have them all - and probably cheaper than anywhere else!

On another thought, did you mark how the gearbox cross member goes together? There are something like 36 combinations of how all the parts fit together. I didn't but managed to work it out using one of the University Motors videos, and I cut two 1inch holes through the cross member to allow access to the nuts on the mounting, but I still spent 3 hours lying on my back trying to get the 4 cross member bolts into the chassis rail and the 2 bolts (which were by far and away the worst to get in) that hold the lower bracket to the centre of the cross member. A real pig of a job!!!!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
David Ramsbotham

Hi Peter,
As the overdrive was working before taking the car “off the road”, all I’m doing is effectively servicing it in line with the University videos, hence no need to remove unit or crossmember.
Actually found things to be remarkable good considering age of unit, some swarf on wire filter screen and slight wear to plunger valve wheel. I’m replacing wire filter screen and all the O rings and gaskets, thoroughly cleaning and then putting back together. Thanks for info on supplier but I already ordered from Moss as my usual go to source for parts. Not necessarily always the cheapest but have found to be very reliable and speedy.
Getting new oil back in the box will be the next challenge, I have a large syringe but that has max capacity of 200ml so will take some time to fill the 3.4 litres required!
Next stop after that will be front suspension - thinking of renewing all bushes and also dropping whole car down to chrome bumper ride height.
All the best, David.
Andrew Tilney
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Tilney

Post by Andrew Tilney »

David its a lot easier to fill the box before you fit it
Attachments
DSC00208.JPG
DSC00208.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 13001 times
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi David,
I understand that some clever individuals purchase a cheap pump that they drive using an electric pump & a couple of hoses. (This beats getting under the car for hours with a litre bottle like we used to get for lawm mower oil & the oil drippng down your arm)!
Cheers, Charles
1980 Roadster
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

I have a large capacity Draper oil gun/syringe which I use to fill my Land Rover gearboxes, overdrive and axles. I'm not sure of the capacity but I guess it's more than 200ml.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Andrew Tilney
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Tilney

Post by Andrew Tilney »

Other options
Attachments
DSC00015A.jpg
DSC00015A.jpg (707.68 KiB) Viewed 12988 times