1975 MGB Oil Filter

Technical MGB discussion
David Ramsbotham
Forename: David
Surname: Ramsbotham

1975 MGB Oil Filter

Post by David Ramsbotham »

I am seeking help with respect to the positioning of the oil filter on my 1975 built rubber bumper car. When I look at cars for sale on various internet sites, the engine bay photos of similar aged cars clearly show the oil filter screws down onto the filter head. The one on mine, by contrast, hangs down.

Can anyone shed any light on this apparent anomaly? Thanks, David.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: 1975 MGB Oil Filter

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi David,
18GH -18V engines use the top loading inverted canister filter, the change being made sometime in 1969 per Moss catalogue.The last engines with 18GD & 18GG (1967-69) used an inverted filter whereas before that they hung down. Either you have an old block and / or a modified adapter bracket if your engine has been replaced at some point.
Charles
1980 Roadster
David Ramsbotham

Thanks for that Charles.

My engine is still wearing it’s original number but I suspect has been overhauled at some time and has an unleaded head, it is painted red but with black oil pan.

Do you think it is possible that someone has incorrectly fitted the oil filter head 180 degrees out of position?

Cheers, David.
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

Hi David,
You can't fit the filter head the other way up. You must have the earlier type fitted to your car which had a renewable element inside a can about 6in deep. A modified head but using the same filter arrangement which pointed upwards was used until the screew on canister type was fitted and this used another type of filter head without a sealing rubber ring as this was incorporated into the canister head. So basically you have to have the type of filter head for the type of filter you are using. You can view the three types here:
https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-m ... s-mgb.html
Note that the top left and top centre arrangements are alternatives of the same from different manufacturers.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi David,
Peter has answered your question to me. Unless you are wanting to go for originality which would necessitate the later bracket,screw,copper washer & rubber sealing ring then you possibly have an advantage over the later type fitted to my 1980 Roadster. It is nearly impossible when changing the oil filter not to get gloops of old engine oil over that part of the engine block/steering arm/starter motor cover which i suspect is largely avoided with what you currently have in situ.
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Charles, my 1977 BGT has the same oil filter set up as yours and hardly any leaks out of the filter when removed and I always put some clean oil in it before refitting. I use Fram PH2857A filters which I can buy from a small local independent factor.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Thanks Vic,
I may try your oil filter next time! Over the years I have been increasingly prepared for the drips so can keep them manageable - the first time being well over 30 years ago). I only once didn't screw the new filter on straight & on start up,no oli pressure & 6 pints of fresh oil on my garage floor!
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster
David Ramsbotham

Thank you for your comments but I believe the mystery remains!

I have an 18v engine. The oil filter hangs down and is a screw on disposable type not element in a canister.

Being a lot more familiar with Minis we always used to change the filter heads to screw on ones on Mk1 versions as they were easily interchangeable. If this isn’t the case with Bs then I assume I have some sort of after market adaptor kit on mine.

Cheers, David
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler

Post by Vic Butler »

Charles. Nothing to do with oil filters but I would be greatly obliged if you could do me a favour.
Could you look under the dash on your car at the ignition switch to main harness connection and tell me whether in the main harness there is a brown or purple wire which connects to the brown wire in the ignition switch flylead.
Much obliged.
. Vic Butler
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Charles Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

Hi Vic,
As far as I can tell from looking at the multi - connector it looks like brown from the main harness to brown on the lead to the ignition switch. . This seems to correspond with the late UK market circuit diagram from Haynes.Purple from the main harness under the dash goes to the horn button. I have a new spare ignition switch (latest type) which has a brown lead where the brown lead is on my car.The diagram in my repair operation manual seems to supper that as well..
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster