Replacement Distributor

Technical MGB discussion
David Askew
Forename: David
Surname: Askew
MGCC Member: Yes

Replacement Distributor

Post by David Askew »

Whilst at Tim Kelly's MG workshop on the Cornish Weekend my distributor was diagnosed as being shortly in need of repair or replacement. Having looked at many websites I am undecided whether to go for a straight 25D replacement or go for an electronic version (keeping the original in the boot just in case). I am looking for a straightforward reliable unit without bells whistles and hooters. Has anyone any suggestions or experiences of what is good and what is not so good?
David Askew
1972 MGBGT
2001 MGF VVC
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Replacement Distributor

Post by John Watson »

David, I have kept mine as original but have fitted the Aldon Ignitor system, and keep the base plate with orinal points and rotor arm in the glove box.
Conatct Alan at Aldon Tel 01384 572553
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
David Askew

Post by David Askew »

Many thanks John, I will have a look at their Website.
David Askew
1972 MGBGT
2001 MGF VVC
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

You will need to check the tachometer is compatible. On the face, it will either have 'RVI' or 'RVC', in both cases followed by a number. Early cars were RVI and these are not compatible - the needle oscillates all over the place! Help is at hand as they can be modified either by Speedy Cables who own the Smiths brand (see http://www.speedycables.com/ ) or Aldon recommend JDO Instruments (see http://www.jdo1.com/ ) or get an RVC one from an autojumble where they are usually around £60 with a gaurantee they work, or £35 -£40 if you take a chance, or of course you could buy a brand new one from one of the suppliers. Yet another option is from Accuspark (see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380578001095 ) and replace the insides yourself
If it is an RVC Tachometer, then it should work ok.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
David Askew

Post by David Askew »

Thanks Peter,
I have just checked and I have an RVC tacho, although in Cornwall it registered slightly low when checked on the Cryptontune, so might have to get it re-calibrated. I have seen the Accuspark adverts but not read any reviews about them except for one in Practical Classics. Aldon seem a bit pricey considering my car does around 2,500 miles a year.
David Askew
1972 MGBGT
2001 MGF VVC
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

I have had Acccuspark for 18 months now - no problems only a better performing car. They made a special positive earth one for a 45D distributor that my car has fitted.

You need to get the correct polarity version for your car
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
David Askew

Post by David Askew »

Hi George,
Thanks for the info, I will speak to Accuspark in the next couple of days and see what they have to offer. Having just had a significant birthday my younger son is buying it as a present, so I will have to fairly careful with the price!!
David Askew
1972 MGBGT
2001 MGF VVC
Dave Linkson
Forename: Dave
Surname: Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

I had an Accuspark module in the Lucas distributor which was fine for many years, but did fail recently, and have heard that the Chinese electronics in these now, fail early, I have a Power spark installed now, which cost £65 and initially had a problem with that regarding vac advance, but now ok and runs fine, but wonder for how long? think on hindsight the Aldon or 123 is what I should have got, but pricier.
David Askew

Post by David Askew »

Thanks David for the info, I have heard that the electronics coming out of China recently are pretty rubbish, and that some major EU car makers are changing suppliers back to Europe or the USA. I am going to have a look a the alternatives including Aldon, I don't need the sophisticated set up 123 provide.
David Askew
1972 MGBGT
2001 MGF VVC
John Kelly
Forename: John
Surname: Kelly
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Kelly »

I used Distrbutor Doctor to rebuild my distributor on my 73 B. He set the advance curve to match the spec of my engine. I am running a standard set up, ie points and condenser. It made a massive difference to the car in terms of driveability and ecconomy. Not cheap, but it was excellent value for money.

John