DfT Guidance on Substantial Change of Historic Vehicles

General MGB discussion
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

DfT Guidance on Substantial Change of Historic Vehicles

Post by George Wilder »

Lots of newly released information on this topic on the V8 Register website here
http://www.v8register.net/sub2/news1712 ... nt-VHI.htm

and the FBHVC website here
http://www.fbhvc.co.uk/about-us/news/_a ... -interest/

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Re: DfT Guidance on Substantial Change of Historic Vehicles

Post by Peter Cresswell »

It is good that the 15% improvement of the power to weight ration rule regarding modifications has been removed, but it appears modifications have to be made or based on modifications available before 30 years ago. Please make sure you read the 'Text of the Guidance' link at the bottom of the FBHVC document. This is more specific than either the FBHVC or V8 Register notes.
People with K-Series engines in MGBs or Spridgets might need to pay attention to developments, but it seems to ok V8 MGB roadsters.
Good news in these Brexit muddled days!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Doesn't make a jot of difference to me and I suspect most responsible owners as we intend to continue having our cars tested. My old B is pretty bog standard and would have complied with the 15% power to weight ratio rule anyway. I asked David Pope of the DfT to confirm that if I register as a VHI I can continue to have a voluntary test and that will be recorded on the VOSA computer system and hence the MOT history will be visible to potential buyers. (should I want to sell).
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Had a reply from David Pope of the DfT but he didn't answer the question so I've gone back to him. If we register our cars as VHI will our voluntary MOT's be recorded and our MOT history preserved so it can be viewed online buy potential buyers.
As I understand it we will not get the chance to register as a VHI until our tax renewal comes through. If like me your MOT runs out after May but before your tax, then you will need a test anyway. I've asked him to clarify this.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Peter Cresswell

Worse might be that if you don't register the car as VHI you are saying that the car is not of Historic Interest, then one of our future cash strapped governments could interpret that as not being eligible for Zero VED.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
David Ramsbotham
Forename: David
Surname: Ramsbotham

Post by David Ramsbotham »

If I change my rubber bumper car to a chrome bumper will this invalidate a VHI or is it OK because it was being done over 30 years ago? Appreciate your views please. Thanks, David.
Peter Cresswell

This is still about as clear as mud! What I think is clear, is the owner will be responsible for declaring the car as a 'Vehicle of Historic Interest' or VHI. This will allow cars of 40 years+ to be MoT exempt. My thought above is that if an owner doesn't complete the VHI form so that it will still require an MoT, then it may also become ineligible for 'Historic' VED, and this is not clear either way from what has been released so far from the DVLA who are responsible for VED, the DVSA (formerly VOSA) who are responsible for the MoT and the FBHVC who are attempting to coordinate the information for us.

To be more specific for the MGB, my interpretation so far is that changing from rubber bumpers to chrome or either to flush valances, is not a problem, providing the shell remains the original, or is the original that has been restored, or it is a similar (roadster or GT) from Heritage. What might be a problem is a GT to Roadster conversion.

Engines are another issue. Any version of the B-Series engine (GA to 18V, 3bearing to 5 bearing) in any state of tune should be ok, as should the installation of a Rover V8 as these were options on the MGB theme. However Ford Zetec, K-Series conversions or Mazda engine conversions are not, as these were not available or common practice within 10 years of MGB production ceasing. You should remember though, that the MoT emissions test applies to the age of the engine, not the age of the car.

It is worth reading this link from the bottom of the FBHVC link George provided at the top of this thread:
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... idance.pdf.
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
David Ramsbotham

I read the links and everything I could find on DVLA and to me it says as long as reputable experts , such as car clubs, are happy with what’s been done should be OK. Also if modification is of the sort that was being carried out in period ( defined as 30 years ago), should also be OK. Not exactly unquestionable rules but as I’m sure rubber bumper cars were being converted to chrome bumpers prior to 1987, I’m of the opinion registering such a converted car as VHI is within the spirit of the rules. David
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

David
The FBHVC is charged with providing the DVLA with a list of marque experts.

On request of the Club Chairman I contacted the FBHVC in early January offering the services of the MGCC's Registers as marque experts. At that time they did not expect to start work on the list until the end of January beginning of February. I will up date when I hear more.

The MOT systems and the Vehicle tax systems are very separate systems best seen in the V8 Register website flowchart here
http://www.v8register.net/articles/1801 ... VED-R8.pdf

George
MGCC Director
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
David Ramsbotham

Thanks George, if I were to convert from rubber to chrome bumper it would not be for a while as I have plenty other tasks to complete first, so hopefully things will be more clear before I get to the decision point. David