COMMISSION NUMBER PLATES

Technical MGB discussion
Graham Dix
Forename: Graham
Surname: Dix

COMMISSION NUMBER PLATES

Post by Graham Dix »

A recent question to our Technical Help Line concerned Commission Plates as follows:

I am trying to ascertain the Commission number of my car. It is not recorded on any of the documentation I have obtained from BMIH or DVLA and I would like to know if you have it recorded against this car’s registration. I am importing the car into Switzerland and the plate with Commission-number is totally illegible due to surface corrosion, the Swiss officials have asked me to try and ascertain the number.

Answer:
Early cars were not issued with Commission Numbers, just chassis and body numbers. Commission numbers were not recorded until Mk2 models appeared in late 1967.
I have seen the hand recorded records held at British Motor Museum, Gaydon and specifically asked where my 1967 MGB commission number was recorded as it was not recorded on the page I viewed. The Registrar informed me of the fact that they were not recorded on early cars as mentioned above.
Your car should only have a chassis number plate located on the right hand inner wing in front of radiator. if you do have a commission no. plate on the body – could it be that it is a later body with the original chassis number plate transferred onto it. Confirmation of what I have stated could be obtained from the Registrar at BMM if the authorities require it.
Hope this helps. Please let me know how you get on.
Regards
Graham Dix
MGB Register Chairman