Ethanol in petrol

Technical MGB discussion
Donald Carmichael
Forename: Donald
Surname: Carmichael
MGCC Member: Yes

Ethanol in petrol

Post by Donald Carmichael »

I have a 1965 MGB and use lead replacement additive (Redex) in the petrol. I have read much about the detrimental effects of ethanol in petrol and found conflicting summaries regarding BS EN228; I have seen reports quoting max permitted ethanol content at 5% and others at 10%. I have also read that 5% has been the norm for several years and does not appear to be harmful to classic fuel systems whereas 10% is.
My local filling stations merely display BS EN228 on the pumps. How can I tell what the true E number is, and will the use of Millers VSPe Powerplus instead of Redex lead replacement provide the added protection from ethanol attack if it is required?
Donald Carmichael
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Re: Ethanol in petrol

Post by George Wilder »

Donald
Don't have the answer directly but most up to date information on fuels is usually available vis the FBHVC http://fbhvc.co.uk/

Regards
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
David Broadhurst
Forename: David
Surname: Broadhurst
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by David Broadhurst »

Part of the answer seems to be to use the highest grade of fuel available.
Tesco Millennium fuel is 99 octane which is as close as possible to the 101 octane the MGB engine was intended to run on and this fuel is, apparently, 5%ethanol and, equally apparently, staying that way. Shell and Esso and BP higher octane fuels are equally suitable for the MGB and,as far as I can ascertain, will remain at 5% ethanol.
David Broadhurst
1967 Mk1 GT
Donald Carmichael

Thanks for that info. I will change to high octane and continue adding Redex.
Donald.
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Post by George Wilder »

Donald
Been using Tesco Momentum in my MGB for the past year or so and amongst other gains is that it never runs on now. The 99 octane must help.
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
David Broadhurst
Forename: David
Surname: Broadhurst

Post by David Broadhurst »

I would endorse what George said and add that the same is true for the better quality suppliers I mentioned previously. Mine runs exceptionally well on Shell V Power.
David Broadhurst
1967 Mk1 GT
Bob Featherstone
Forename: Bob
Surname: Featherstone

Post by Bob Featherstone »

I agree with David that Shell V Power is good, but it is always so much more expensive than the Tesco 99 and both seem to perform the same - also don't forget that Tesco 99 is one of the main sponsors of the successful MG Touring Car team!
Bob in Devon
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton

Post by John Watson »

I have used Tesco Momentum 99 since it was launched. Excellent.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Donald Carmichael

Thanks to you all. I'm laid-up for the winter now but my first trip in the spring will be 5 miles to Tesco!
Donald.
Dave Linkson
Forename: Dave
Surname: Linkson

Post by Dave Linkson »

I use Shell V power, new engine runs well, maybe just a hint of running on sometimes.. I put in Redex, but as this bottle runs out I'm thinking of going over to Millers VSPe...

MILLERS VSPE POWER PLUS FUEL TREATMENT 250ML

There are many reasons why Millers VSPe Power Plus Fuel Treatment will float your boat: simply add it to unleaded petrol (as a replacement for 4 star leaded petrol) and it'll add 2 octane numbers to the fuel. The treatment also provides lead replacement and ethanol protection too. It doesn't stop there though, the wonderful stuff prevents ethanol corrosion and valve seat recession and features a carburettor anti-icing formula. That's the 'icing' on the cake!
MILLERS VSPE POWER PLUS FUEL TREATMENT 250ML EXTRA INFO

Handy 250ml bottle
Lead replacement with added Octane booster
Increases power
Prevents ethanol corrosion
Prevents valve seat recession
Carburettor anti icing formula
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (The FBHVC) is pleased to announce the results of its fuel stability additive test programme. This research was designed to test the anti corrosive properties of proprietary additives claiming to provide a high level of protection against potential corrosion of fuel systems, including tanks, pipework and fuel metering equipment on historic vehicles caused by the addition of ethanol into petrol. Millers Oils VSPe Power Plus, VSPe & EPS all received and 'A' rating in the research which enables all these products carry an endorsement from the FBHVC.
Last edited by Dave Linkson on Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.