Defending the 'ubiquitous' MGB.

General MGB discussion
Graham Wilkins
Forename: Graham
Surname: Wilkins
MGCC Member: Yes

Defending the 'ubiquitous' MGB.

Post by Graham Wilkins »

There seems to be an worrying increase in knocking and belittling our beloved MGB's, particularly the GT version. The latest insult comes from Classic Car Weekly (issue dated 17th February) where they compare the MGB GT with the Triumph TR7. In response to this article a star letter 'You picked the right winner' in the current issue dated 2nd March, extolls the virtues of the TR7 and describes the MGB GT's handling as follows: 'massive squealing tryes and roll oversteer by the bucket load'. Certainly the first rubber bumper MGBs had pretty dreadful handling, but this was greatly improved with rear anti-roll bars in the later models. The handling of the chrome bumper cars, as we all know, is sublime and predictable. Once again, the popular, (for jolly good reason) MGB, is being slated and compared to a TR7 which was designed in the late 1970's, whilst the dear old B was a late 1950's design. The reason for this rant is to warn all MGB owners to be on their guard against such unfair and ill-informed bias. Anyone reading this article and the subsequent letter, who is new to the classic car scene, will immediately think that the MGB is a poor handling hulk of ubiquity! We need to defend the fantastic reputation of the MGB and extoll its virtues to the uninitiated.
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder

Re: Defending the 'ubiquitous' MGB.

Post by George Wilder »

Graham
Well said
Its the usual comparison article loved by journalists to make a story - take two un-equals an d make one better than the other.
George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

A better comparison would have been a TR4 with solid rear axle v MGB, as both were designed at around the same time. I guess they were attempting to compare the two BL sports cars on sale at the same time in the late 1970s, one in the prime of its design life and the other approaching retirement. Anything that sets Triumph people up for a fight with MG people seems to be 'good copy'.
Perhaps Classic Car Weekly should spend more time to work out where they stand on tax exemption, as over the last few issues they promoted the 25 year exemption and putting road tax on petrol simultaneously. If it goes on fuel then the exemption is lost at a stroke!

I won't start to go into their spelling mistakes or incorrect data tables or incorrect specifications!
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
John Watson
Forename: John
Surname: Waton
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John Watson »

I was looking a another mag at the newsagents yesterday, not certain which one, they were looking at future classics, the No1 was the rubber bumpered MGBGT.
John Watson
1964 MGB Roadster Mk1
2018 MG ZS Exclusive 1ltr Auto
Adrian Oliver
Forename: Adrian
Surname: Oliver

Post by Adrian Oliver »

May be this explains why the value of MGBs is so low when every other classic has rocketed in recent years?
1962 Chelsea Grey MGB
Peter Cresswell
Forename: Pete
Surname: Cresswell

Post by Peter Cresswell »

I think that has more to do with supply and demand. A quick search using the 'How many are left' website reveals that 36,360 MGB/C of all types are known to the DVLA, whilst TR7s of all types number 5,072. In both cases the numbers include cars on SORN. The TR4 which has seen a sharp increase in price in recent times number just 2,096. However if you have an MGB GT V8 then you will have seen a nice increase in value recently as they become tax exempt, and the MGC seems to be really taking off especially in roadster form.
The advantage of having so many MGBs around means there is a large enough market to have new parts manufactured. Unfortunately some of these though are of dubious quality! A major downside to low values is the cost of restoration of an MGB outstrips its value considerably, and as 'home restorers' move out of the market will we see less and less MGBs on the books?
Pete
1969 MGB Roadster
2020 MG HS Exclusive
2007 Mercedes SLK
Plus 34 other cars since 1965
John R Lakey
Forename: John
Surname: Lakey
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by John R Lakey »

Feel I have to defend CCW a bit as I do work for them!
They carry my column on looking after and re-building my MGBs, plus main features ed David Simister owns a BGT so whatever one article may make you think there is much MGB love within CCW.

Journalists have to compare things from many different perspectives. I love MGBs but we all have to admit that whilst they were concurrent with the TR7, and reasonably comparable on price, the more modern TR7 had better ride and handling. If it hadn't someone should have been fired as it was 15 years or more newer in design.

What's interesting is it continued to outsell the TR7 in America and in fact dealers had to order 2 TR7s to get 1 MGB; Triumph bias at BL management level. Read David Knowles' excellent book in the TR7.

On a different but related note I have a good friend with a TR7 and when I met up with him and his good lady in my B she said, without prompting. "His car is much prettier than yours!" I've never let him forget that.

As to values, they made nearly 600,000 and thanks to parts supply and heritage shells they have a highish survival rate, so they are never going to be worth big Healey money, thankfully as I could not afford toy play with them then. Even if a V8 B is a MUCH better car than a big Healey, just as a TR7 V8 is a better car than a B V8 if measured purely on ability.
Classic cars are not about absolute ability, if they were we would all drive a new Prius.

With the weekly deadline always looming I think the CCW team do a pretty top job at keeping us up to date with the classic movement as a whole and defending our hobby when its needed, along with the FBHVC.
MGBGT
MGB GT V8
MGB-eta (2-litre Lancia Beta engine)