Respray costs

General MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Re: Respray costs

Post by GeoffK »

Here’s my dilemma. Having had 2800 views on Autotrader and 28 on Car and Classic I have only had 2 viewings and both rejected the car with regards to the paintwork. They picked up on the half a dozen areas that would benefit from a respray. Neither either looked inside the car nor took it for a drive. What would you suggest to sell it?
A) Drop the price dramatically to try to sell and keep dropping until it does
B) Have it resprayed so that prospective buyers get past the paint and hold or increase the price
C) Do nothing but put it up for auction
D) Drop the price and offer it as a “ Project”
E) Any other suggestions?
Look forward to your feedback. Cheers Geoff
Rommel
Forename: Tony
Surname: Bave

Post by Rommel »

Is it just the paint that lets it down or are there body panels that need replacing? If the panels are sound you might be able to get it cut and polished?
but if there are issues with the panels and they need work this could be costly.

I would keep the price as it is and amend the advert stating it would benefit from a repaint that way it filters out buyers that are expecting a new car for £4950 if after a while you do not get any interest in it then consider dropping the price or auction depends how much in a hurry you are to dispose of it?

If you have it repainted and any panels replaced it would be easier to sell but you will not recover the cost above what the car is worth?

You could also offer it to a dealer to see what they would offer out of interest

Good luck.
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Rommel . The body panels are generally ok with the exception of the under bumper panel at the rear which does need some repair work. Cutting and polishing won’t be enough for some of the issues. No panels are that bad that they need replacing. In the past it has had new front wings. The main problem is with the rear quarters.
I’m leaning towards the revamped advert suggestion. We are on holiday the whole of June and I will pause the advert during this period. Also this period is when I would have it resprayed if I decided to follow that route. I would then relaunch the advert when I return following whichever route I choose. On the plus side I have a viewing this afternoon!!! Keep your fingers crossed for me. Cheers Geoff
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Well it’s 3rd time lucky! The third viewer was more interested in seeing the car start up from cold than the state of the paintwork. So it’s sold for the full asking price with no negotiation.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

That sounds like an experienced buyer. Well done, although sorry to see you go!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

My 23 year old ‘experienced’ buyer- that is 23 years old not having 23 years of experience - came to pick up the MG today and is absolutely over the moon with it! He sat in the driver seat and was grinning from ear to ear! He is going to take it to an MG event at Donnington this weekend and is hoping to have a pootle around the track. What a pleasure it is to see someone so young having such enthusiasm for classic cars. He and his mates are currently working on an old Mini . The car was meant for him with a registration RUG and him coming from RUGby!
Well you won’t be hearing much more from me in the future but may I thank you all so much for your input to my topics. It’s been much appreciated and very helpful. So all the best and good wishes for the future. Cheers Geoff
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

Well done! If he has been working on an old Mini then that will be plenty of experience - working on BGT will be much easier....

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear