Additional fuse options

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Additional fuse options

Post by Not_Anumber »

What is the current thinking about additional fuses ? Being a late RB mine is blessed with a 4 way fusebox rather than the 2 way of the earlier cars. Following advice I added some in-line fuseholders, with similar glass fuses, for circuits that otherwise aren't protected. Though this probably follows the right ethos, when i see it now I cant help wondering if it might be neater to replace all this with a larger fusebox.

Is there an approved replacement 8 way fusebox in the same style or do people who are bothered by this just convert to a modern fusebox with blade fuses ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Additional fuse options

Post by Bumpa »

On the 1971 car I rebuilt and sold I went the way of the modern blade fuse box. It fitted in nicely, although I had to bridge some of the terminals to replicate how the original was set up. I hate glass fuses and the old fuse box which seems to give bother with poor connections as they get older. You will also note a row of relays to protect old switch gear.
029.JPG
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Mrbenn
Forename: Ben
Surname: Norley
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Mrbenn »

Hey Bumpa,
The relays in my car are rather messy. What did you use to keep them all neat and in a row there?
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Bumpa wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 6:06 pm On the 1971 car I rebuilt and sold I went the way of the modern blade fuse box. It fitted in nicely, although I had to bridge some of the terminals to replicate how the original was set up. I hate glass fuses and the old fuse box which seems to give bother with poor connections as they get older. You will also note a row of relays to protect old switch gear.
029.JPG
Hi Mike, a question for you please:

I was looking at my BGT this morning and specifically at the metal heater pipe which runs along the top of the rocker cover.
By complete coincidence I noticed that in your photo today, your heater pipe is set up in exactly the same way as mine. It seems logical to fit that way due to the downturn at the front end meeting the hose at a suitable angle.
But, the puzzle is, what is the kink in the pipe meant to fit around? It seems logical that it is meant to clear the oil filler, but that would mean fitting the pipe the other way around? And if it is turned around, the pipe would not be such a good fit on the heater hoses at each end?
Have we both got this pipe fitted correctly or the wrong way round?

RSVP

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Mrbenn
Forename: Ben
Surname: Norley

Post by Mrbenn »

Could be that the rocker cover goes the other way round?
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

For Ben, I used this relay box but left the lid off as it was a very tight fit and seemed unnecessary. They also sell a 7 relay box should you need it. https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk ... -relay-box

Ian, like you I have no idea why there is a kink in that pipe. I am certain that both the rocker box and the pipe are the correct way round. If you use google to look at other MGB underbonnet images, those that have that type of pipe are just like mine and yours.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Mike. I consulted a few books including the Original MGB tome, and concluded that we have the correct fitting as you say. Trying all the alternative arrangements of pipe and rocker cover it is clear that no other fitting would work, so the "kink" must remain a mystery.

Ian F
MGCC member
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran

Post by Charles Farran »

I read somewhere that the kink in the heater pipe is to allow for the different arrangement for the routing cabling / controls of the automatic cars & possibly also used elsewhere in the BMC group, no doubt a cost saving measure / already available off the shelf.
Cheers,Charles
1980 Roadster
Oldaker
Forename: Graham
Surname: King

Post by Oldaker »

I believe the kink in the pipe is to provide clearance for the kickdown cable when automatic transmission is fitted
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks for these answers. Does anyone here have a photograph of the under bonnet area of an automatic MGB?
I have looked at the references I have with no luck.

Ian F
MGCC member