Raising suspension.

Technical MGB discussion
Rommel
Forename: Tony
Surname: Bave

Raising suspension.

Post by Rommel »

I know this may sound a bit of a strange idea but I am 70 yrs old and getting in and out of my 1964 MGB Roadster is getting awkward, I was thinking of raising the suspension as per the Rubber bumper spec as this would help a lot and also I have a lot of speed bumps where I live, I know all I have to do is replace the front springs with the later ones but what parts do I need to lift the rear end up ??

Thanks
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Raising suspension.

Post by Ian F »

I think it may be more involved than that - the front cross member is different between CB and RB cars for a start. At the rear the springs and associated hardware are also different.
I would advise speaking to someone in the trade (MGB hive?) who would be able to advise and perhaps put a kit of parts together for you.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

Ian is right, not only is the RB crossmember different, but the mountings at the front of the rear springs is altered as well. I'm not sure just fitting RB springs will achieve what you want.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Raising height at the rear would also necessitate the RB longer drop links if original lever style shocs retained.
Cheers, Charles
1980 Roadster
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

It may be more practical ultimately to sell yours and look around for an RB car. With what you would get for yours its likely you would be able to have the pick of the crop of RBs.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF