DIY power steering write up ?

Technical MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

DIY power steering write up ?

Post by Not_Anumber »

Im nearing the final furlong of the DIY EPAS power steering installation on my 1979 BGT and can then start collating my notes and pictures. I had begun by following Phil H's lead on the MGexp forum but have taken a few different choices due to model year differences and my preference for keeping most MGB parts largely unmodified so the car will be easier to maintain for future owners and simpler to revert to an original manual column if that is desired.

Would anyone be interested in me writing it up for the forum ? If so how is it best to go about this as there will be quite a bit of it, words, tables and photos ?

The down side is there will be a fair bit to read for anyone not interested +and it will doubtless irritate purists and those who dont think a B needs power steering.

The plus side is that it will give someone at least most of the information they would need to carry out their own EPAS transplant for comfortably less than £ 200
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: DIY power steering write up ?

Post by Paul Scott »

If you wanted to do it in Word or similar I can conveet to pdf and drop it in somewhere safe if you like..

Regards
Paul
(Currently on the Red Sea).
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks Paul. I will start putting it together
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Paul Hollingworth
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I'd be interested in that. I do believe that the MGB needs power steering. I find it hard work at low speed. I have 175 tyres pumped up to 28 psi. My wife refuses to drive the B back from the pub which limits my consumption. She will drive the modern TF. What a super job the EPAS is on that car.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

PAS is very nice on the MGB. My GT is running 195 section tyres on 15" wheels and I fitted the expensive EZ kit several years ago. Parking is such a doddle now that I wouldn't want to go back. It's good on the motorway too - I don't notice at all at speed. Mind you it cost a LOT more than £200.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ray Masters
Forename: Ray
Surname: Masters

Post by Ray Masters »

Anybody thinking of having power steering fitted either D I Y or professionally should Google the name Easysteer . They supply kits and will fit . I had it fitted to my BGT some years ago and it made a great difference to the enjoyment of the car and driving .
No connection to this firm other than as a satisfied customer .
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Paul Scott wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm If you wanted to do it in Word or similar I can convert to pdf and drop it in somewhere safe if you like..

Regards
Paul
Ive finished the wiring and function notes. Please can you PM me with an email address to send that to.

Im next writing up the physical mods and fitting of the column, shortening the front shaft, fabricating brackets etc separately as some of that is still ongoing
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
LindsayPorter
Forename: Lindsay
Surname: Porter

Post by LindsayPorter »

I've been planning to fit an MGF/TF PAS to my MGA rebuild for some time and, now I've been and gone and bought my first MGB for many a decade - very exciting! - I know I'm going to need to convert that as well. At my age, fings ain't wot they yuster be :).
I would really love to receive all and any detailed information you may have. Thanks so much for sharing your information. Lindsay
Not_Anumber wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:44 pm
Paul Scott wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 6:02 pm If you wanted to do it in Word or similar I can convert to pdf and drop it in somewhere safe if you like..

Regards
Paul
Ive finished the wiring and function notes. Please can you PM me with an email address to send that to.

Im next writing up the physical mods and fitting of the column, shortening the front shaft, fabricating brackets etc separately as some of that is still ongoing
Paul Scott
Surname: Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

Chris has sent me a very detailed article and some images.
I have popped all of the info into the attached file.
MGB DIY EPAS conversion.pdf
(2.03 MiB) Downloaded 6 times
StaySafe & B Good

Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Not_Anumber

Post by Not_Anumber »

Thanks Paul.
I hope to have the next part around mounting the EPAS column available soon. Its been taking a bit longer than expected as Ive had to remake the main mounting bracket a few times in order to get the correct clearance and orientation. At least when it's done there will be enough information for someone else to replicate it without having to go through the same prototyping pain.

When I started on this I was basing it on a partial write up on MGEx from an Australian member with an early 70's B. There was nothing to indicate how much more information was needed or indeed how much more challenging the job would be on a late rubber bumper car with collapsible column but once its written up the knowledge will be available.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF