Fitting MGB GT Seats

Technical MGB discussion
1340fxd
Forename: Rene
Surname: Chinnery
MGCC Member: Yes

Fitting MGB GT Seats

Post by 1340fxd »

I have to re-fit my MGB GT passenger seat which was removed by the previous owner. I have all the parts but have been told it's really tricky to do. Does anyone have any tips on how to make this easier please? :oops:
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: Fitting MGB GT Seats

Post by Ian F »

The difficulty, if you still have the original threaded holes in the floorpan, is lining up the seat, the wooden runner, with the threaded hole.
One way round this is to insert long bolts upwards through the threaded holes and then lower everything into place. Then take out each one in turn and replace with a bolt going downwards - without moving anything of course.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

I think what Ian means is effectively using bolts of the same size, cut off the heads & insert them in the floor threaded holes , place the wooden slats with the spacers over the top. That will then hold everything in place. Then put the seat in & with it right forward or back remove the exposed headless bolts & replace them with the intact ones, tighten loosely & then move the seat in the opposite direction & repeat. Then tighten all down progressively. (You may have to check they are tight after a bit of usage.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

This makes the job significantly easier even in a Roadster with the roof down, but it's several times more so in the restricted working space of a GT: separate the seat backs and squabs, then fit the squabs, and reunite them.

It adds a stage, feels like extra and unnecessary work, and you won't want to do it.

But it's an extra two bolts/five minutes per seat, and makes a breeze of the whole caper.

Good luck!

Allan
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Charles, but I think my method is simpler as it does not involve sawing the heads of bolts!!

Ian F
MGCC member
1340fxd

Post by 1340fxd »

Wow - many thanks for the tips and quick response all. I would never have thought of doing these things and will try them. Cheers
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

The o/e seat-mounting bolts had plain leads, which makes them far easier to get started, putting the seats in.

If your bolts are threaded to their tips they've been replaced, and you've got another likely slight layer of difficulty in what ought to be a really quick and easy job.

Allan
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

I find it quite straightforward to taper the head of the thread on bolts to give an easier lead in. Just using a file and then either a die or an old nut to reset the very end of the threads.
As you say, it makes some jobs very much easier

Ian F
MGCC member
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

That's what i did. Putting a taper on the bolts (or replacing them with new tapered bolts) does make it much less of a pain to refit the front seats
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
1340fxd

Post by 1340fxd »

Thanks everyone - comments have been helpful. The job is now done and fortunately I had the original taper bolts which do make life easier. Also, I used a countersink bit on a drill to gently open the carpet hairs so the hole is more visible and easier to get the taper bolt started.

I put the seat fully forward and fixed the two rear bolts which are pretty easy to access - but do not tighten right down at this stage. The fiddly bit was after pushing the seat back, fixing the two front bolts which required the rear bolts to have some play i.e. not fully tightened so I could lift the front of the seat to put the rather long o/e bolts in.