Supplier for good quality 1/4 light rubbers

Technical MGB discussion
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Supplier for good quality 1/4 light rubbers

Post by Bumpa »

My 1/4 light windows in the doors let in water. My experience is that most "rubber" seals from the usual suppliers are of poor quality. Can anyone recommend a supplier of decent quality seals, preferably in the UK? I would like some that would last as long as the originals, which were good for at least 30 years.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Re: Supplier for good quality 1/4 light rubbers

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Mike
I’m afraid the answer is No. I think the ones available in the UK all come from the same source (India?) The quadrant section on all of the ones I have seen, look as if they have been on a course of steroids compared to the slenderlines of the originals. I was lucky, when I was looking for new seals,I found a set of originals in the US. However they are very rare. The ones available do fit but don’t look great, they are rubber so as with most repro stuff out there won’t last more than a couple of years.
Sorry this is not better news.
Mike Barclay
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

Thanks for replying Michael. I was rather afraid that was probably the answer. I don't know quite what to do as my GT stands out in the rain quite frequently (it rains a lot in Troon). Maybe I'll seal it up with Arbomast black sealer and never open it. I'm fed up with permanently wet carpets and underlay.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Would It be worth asking a company such as:

"Classic Cars - Rubber Seal Supplier for Your Classic Car" https://coh-baines.co.uk/collections/cl ... 9312236733

to manufacture a batch for us? They make seals in several types of "rubber" so may have what is required?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

Hi Ian,
You could ask colin @ JUSTMGB.COM

enquiries@justmgb.com

He lists uk made roadster ones.

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Paul. That's a couple of places for Mike to try

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Paul Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

Doh, I was doing it quickly whilst parked between jobs..

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Mike
Are you sure this is where the water is coming in? Usually any water coming in through the tops of the doors runs down inside the door and out through the drain holes in the bottom of the door. Have you checked the valve in the bottom of the air intake plenum chamber is not blocked as this is a common source of watering entering the footwells?
Mike Barclay
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

I had a look at coh-baines website as I had heard from someone else that their rubber products were superior, but the 1/4 window seals aren't shown and when I contacted them they don't supply those articles.

I had never heard of justmgb.com, but looking on his website I find 1/4 light rubbers made in the UK. Has anyone bought from him? Were his articles better than average?

Michael, your suggestions are good ones but (a) I don't have the rubber bulb on the bottom of the heater plenum drain, so there is no obstruction to water escaping and (b) when sitting in the passenger seat of the car in the heavy rain recently I could clearly see drops entering the 1/4 window. They run down on the inside face of the plastic rain shield, so can't escape from the drain holes but run over the sill to the interior. I had a BMW Z3 a few years ago and it suffered from exactly the same problem. The plastic rain shield actually funnelled the water into the car. Apparently it was a known problem with that model.

However, the amount of water that is collecting is more than can be accounted for by the drops from the quarterlight, so I'll have to start looking up behind the dash, not so easy to do on my car as the electric power steering rather gets in the way. It could be the wiper spindle or the washer jet that leaks.

Some would say that taking off Tom's Knob will allow engine fumes into the cabin, but it isn't the case with my V8. I have run it for thousands of miles with the tube open and there is no sign of engine smell in the car. My wife would be the first to tell me if there was! Maybe having the exhausts going out into the wheel arches takes away a major source of smell.
Mike
Paul Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

Colin Goodey -JustMGB
Is well known in the Jubilee/LE Circles as he used to run the club/site and I believe he was also on the MGB Register committee at some point.

I know he was getting fed up with poor quality parts and went into business getting the better quality stuff made.

He is usually at Stoneleigh MG & Triumph show in February , but I think you are quite a distance from the show.

StaySafe & B Good

Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register