Aluminium radiator

Technical MGB discussion
Issug987
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Aluminium radiator

Post by Issug987 »

Does anyone have any experience of using an aluminium radiator, I've taken the present one off to get at the timing chain cover to measure it and fit a new pulley, as usual, looks to be a few different models/suppliers out there so any advice will be helpful, thanks..
Bumpa
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Aluminium radiator

Post by Bumpa »

For a normal 1800 MGB the standard copper/brass radiator should be more than adequate, especially in Britain. Why pay more for an aluminium one? One aluminium rad I bought for a V8 suffered with leaks from quite early on because of the way the tubes were punched into the tanks. Vibration shook them loose and they couldn't be refixed. A standard rad can be soldered, aluminium can't. Obviously they aren't all going to be like that. Aluminium is also a poorer conductor of heat than copper/brass. It's only advantage is that the strength of the aluminium allows more wider tubes to be fitted. I would stick with standard.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Issug987

Post by Issug987 »

Bumpa wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:37 pm For a normal 1800 MGB the standard copper/brass radiator should be more than adequate, especially in Britain. Why pay more for an aluminium one? One aluminium rad I bought for a V8 suffered with leaks from quite early on because of the way the tubes were punched into the tanks. Vibration shook them loose and they couldn't be refixed. A standard rad can be soldered, aluminium can't. Obviously they aren't all going to be like that. Aluminium is also a poorer conductor of heat than copper/brass. It's only advantage is that the strength of the aluminium allows more wider tubes to be fitted. I would stick with standard.
Thanks, do you recall the make or where you got it from?
Bumpa
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

It came from Cambridge Motorsports. Some years ago now. They were good about the first rad failing and sent me another one, but that leaked also. Gave up after that and put a copper/brass one in. No further trouble.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

Stick with the copper and brass type they are a much better conductor of heat than aluminium.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Issug987

Post by Issug987 »

Thanks for the replies, it helps with my decisions. I've had a good look at what the big MG suppliers have to offer and the options don't look great and are very expensive. My existing radiator is fine, it's in good condition and I have no overheating issues, it is just a logistical issue, if I was away, say driving around the south of France, I may need to get a replacement radiator, so I was looking for something a bit more reliable, easy to obtain (anywhere) and replace. I've found some possibilities from VW, Ford and Toyota, about half the price of an MG one also may can fitted with the OEM electric fan and shroud, (present fan is a bespoke Kenlow and shroud). The options are a little bigger capacity too. I'll post my solution if anyone is interested...