MGOC 6 volt batteries?

Technical MGB discussion
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

MGOC 6 volt batteries?

Post by Ian F »

I need to replace my twin 6 bolt batteries (and no, I am not going to fit one 12volt battery!).
The MGOC batteries are about half the price of the traditional looking heavy duty pair from Moss.
Has anyone any experience of how these MGOC batteries perform?
Thanks
Ian F.
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Re: MGOC 6 volt batteries?

Post by Bumpa »

I don't suppose you live in SW Scotland as I have a serviceable pair of 6 volters cluttering my garage that could be yours for nothing if you could collect them. They are labelled Wilson, Heavy Duty. D B Wilson is a battery manufacturer in Glasgow. I know nothing about the MGOC batteries I'm afraid.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Mike. I am in Fife near the Forth Bridges - you were generous enough to donate a spare MGB back axle to me some years ago if you recall?
Thanks for the offer but I think I will fit new as I don't want to be doing again sooner than I have to.

Best regards

Ian F
MGCC member
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

Why not go for Manor Garages 12v conversion? More power and
a wider choice of batteries?
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks Vic. If you look at my first post you will see that I am not going down that route - the start of a slippery slope!!
Who knows where that might end? Fitting a K series engine? Fitting a Ford gearbox?

Only joking of course 😁😁😁

Ian F
MGCC member
Issug987
Forename: Mike
Surname: B

Post by Issug987 »

My experience with the MGOC batteries was that they only lasted two years, looked the part, but not good. I replaced them with the 6v Varta Classic, looks good, and worked very well for five years, when I succumbed to the 12v solution, they didn't need to be replaced, so they may well have lasted longer.
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks for the reply Mike, that's probably what I expected to hear.

As it happens I topped up my old heavy duty 6volt batteries ( electrolyte was very low) put them on my Ctek battery conditioner, and they seem fine, so didn't replace them in the end.

I leave them permanently connected to the Ctek and these machines seem to give me very long life for all my car batteries. But, you must remember to top up the electrolyte even if the vehicle gets little use as the Ctek "works" the batteries to keep them in good shape

Ian F
MGCC member
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

I've gone to the single 12v as type 063 as recommended on the register website. 4year warranty, still going strong now its run out. Simple to fit, just needs the earth strap moving. I found with the six volt that I was replacing one or the other every couple of years and they are expensive, much more than my £50 12 volt.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Paul
I’m with you. However I went for the type 202 battery. Same size as a single 6 volt battery so you can use the original battery clamp. As you mention, the only change is to unbolt the earth cable and move it over. CCA is also higher than the standard 6 volt setup, so will give better starting. My car is very original so I take any mods very seriously. In my opinion this is one of the best £50 I have spent on my car.
Mike Barclay