warning about hydraulic fluid leaks!

Technical MGB discussion
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

warning about hydraulic fluid leaks!

Post by Ian F »

I have a '72 BGT and a '61 MK1 Midget (lucky me!) and have recently replaced the master cylinders (brake/clutch) on both of these cars - the midget master cylinder was sold as an "OE" piece of equipment and both had "Lockheed" moulded into the plastic filler cap.
However - and this is the important bit - after just a few weeks both of these plastic filler caps have split and were found to be completely loose on their master cylinder reservoirs. I found this out on the midget yesterday before a long run into the Highlands, and I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't spotted it I would have had brake fluid spillage during the trip.
So my advice - if you have recently bought a master cylinder from one of our well known suppliers, make sure you re-use your old filler cap and discard the new bright plastic one that came with the master cylinder. I now have my old filler caps in place and I'm sure they will do another 50 years!
Hope this is useful, but disappointing that this is yet another example of the very poor quality products being sold to us,

Ian F.
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Adrian Oliver
Forename: Adrian
Surname: Oliver
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: warning about hydraulic fluid leaks!

Post by Adrian Oliver »

Or better still, fit original style metal ones:

http://www.minispares.com/product/Class ... |Back%20to
1962 Chelsea Grey MGB