General MGB discussion
George Wilder
Forename: George
Surname: Wilder
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Desperate For Help Finding VIN #

Post by George Wilder »

Kevin
Please note the comment I made in an earlier reply.
"It was practice for British Servicemen to buy new cars when abroad but to UK spec to save purchase tax etc which was ok if they kept them for a period on return to the UK. No doubt a similar arrangment existed for US Servicemen so they could buy an American spec car whilst in the UK and take it back when their tour of duty ended. Could this MGB be one of those? "

I am sure that the car could have been supplied LHD to a USA serviceman in the UK and registered for use in the UK. Certainly Americn cars were supplied LHD and registered in the UK for use here.

The is no UK Department of Motor Vehices to call.
The UK vehicle Registration body, the DVLA ( Driver and Vehicle Licencing Agency) did not come into operational existance until 1984. Previous to this year registrations were handled by County Councils or Borough (Town) Councils. Upon formation of the DVLA many of the original registration bodies destroyed their old records.
Using the data of the Kithead Trust https://kitheadtrust.org.uk/ it appears none of the 1960s records for East and West Suffolk ( the county location of Bentwaters ) nor Ipswich survive. If the car was a personnal export car ( ie for use abroad but initially in the UK ) it would probably been sold and registered through the BMC department for such sales which I believe was based in London. Here too the pre DVLA records have been destroyed.

Without the registration identity of the vehicle is probably impossible - the only real help is the folk at Bentwaters now or a Veterans group in the USA.

George
George Wilder
1965 MG MGB Mk1
1995 MG RV8
2005 MG TF 135
1959 BSA D7 Bantam
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Re: Desperate For Help Finding VIN #

Post by Not_Anumber »

Just a thought and I do not want to create extra variables here, but could he have been based at RAF Woodbridge, the twin base to Bentwaters. The two bases were almost adjacent and some staff had duties at both sites.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF