ULEZ

General MGB discussion
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

ULEZ

Post by Not_Anumber »

I wasnt surprised to see that my daily driver, a ten year old diesel, is liable for the ULEZ charge and it didnt surprise me that my 2002 MG TF is exempt from ULEZ, though liable for the standard congestion charge.

However it has surprised me to see my 1979 MGBGT has no exemption. Full charge for both ULEZ and the congestion charge. As a historic vehicle I was expecting it to be exempt from at least the ULEZ. What are other people's experiences ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: ULEZ

Post by Bumpa »

I've just checked on the London ULEZ site my 1969 MGB V8 conversion and the 1971 MGB roadster which I sold recently. Both are exempt from the London ULEZ charge. However, my 1977 Triumph Dolomite 1850HL is not exempt. Strange isn't it?

I live in Scotland and all three of the cars shown above are exempt in any zone in Scotland. My super fuel efficient 2011 VW diesel is not exempt even though it burns less than half the fuel that my V8 does. Can't make sense of that.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

Neither my 1977 MGB GT nor my 1975 petrol Land Rover are shown as being exempt. Both are taxed as Historic and are MOT exempt.It's just one giant mess and typical of Khan.
Not that I would ever drive into London now.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

Vic Butler wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:46 pm Neither my 1977 MGB GT nor my 1975 petrol Land Rover are shown as being exempt. Both are taxed as Historic and are MOT exempt.It's just one giant mess and typical of Khan.
Not that I would ever drive into London now.
The trouble is if you live within the extended ULEZ zone as a friend does. Both his car and his wife's car are 10 or so years old and neither are exempt. That means he can't take either out of his driveway without a penalty. His only option is his MGB GTV8. Mad.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

The lunatics are firmly in control of the asylum.
Do emergency response vehicles, busses , taxis and motor cycles have to pay ULEZ/congestion tax?
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

I had confused responses for my October 1978 VoHI MGB Roadster when I enquired - 1. not exempt 2. exempt, but each day I drove in the ULEZ I'd need to engage with the system to make a zero payment - surprising, but similar to 'taxing', so plausible 3. the system would automatically recognise the car as not liable to ULEZ payments, and I needn't do anything. So far, the third has proved right.

Anyone who's heard their VoHI isn't free of ULEZ charges should ask again, and keep asking til they get an answer they like.

I had similar contradictory answers from DVLA about trad number plates, so it's not just the poor old mayor's office shaky about the finer points of classic ownership.

Allan
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss

Post by Allan T »

Not quite Mike - they'd need to pay the daily ULEZ charge whenever they drove in the Zone, a 'penalty' would only follow if they drove without paying the charge.

Allan

The trouble is if you live within the extended ULEZ zone as a friend does. Both his car and his wife's car are 10 or so years old and neither are exempt. That means he can't take either out of his driveway without a penalty. His only option is his MGB GTV8. Mad.
[/quote]
Bumpa

Post by Bumpa »

Well exactly Allan. Would you like to have to pay £12.50 for every trip to the supermarket?
Mike
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

All historic vehicles should be exempt (i.e. over 40 years old) as are EU4 petrol engined cars and EU6 diesels (those with Selective Catalytic Reduction - AdBlu). That means all petrol engined cars newer that 16 years old and Diesels newer than 6 years old. Unfortunately its the diesels without SCR that are responsible for the majority of NOx emissions that are a key factor in promoting respiratory disease. (particulate traps have been around for longer). Putting it frankly, these need to be driven off the road. Tough luck for those who own them, they are killing people. There is a scrappage scheme which should enable petrol drivers to buy a car that is new enough. I tried arguing with the Birmingham ULEZ czar that EU3 petrol engined cars should also be exempt because they are perfectly clean once the catalyst is lit off. (EU4 cars generally have close coupled catalysts to aid faster light off). I didn't get anywhere.
Its clear that the TFL data base is pants but I cant see how you can be fined is your car is compliant. All my cars are including my 71 B and my 05 TF (its an EU3 spec but the DVLA don't know that, they only go on date of first registration which for mine was Jan 06) Last time I tried the TFL database it was down. Lets hope they are updating it.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

I had a surprising result when I checked whether my cars were exempt from the Scottish LEZ charges in the cities.

As expected the 1961 Midget and the 1972 BGT were exempt, but the surprise was that my 1991 Volvo 945 was also exempt.

On checking the details, it seems that all vehicles over 30 years old are exempt (but not "historic" of course).

Very unexpected!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear