Tow eye for track days

Requirements and preparation - no event reports please!
1340fxd
Forename: Rene
Surname: Chinnery
MGCC Member: Yes

Tow eye for track days

Post by 1340fxd »

I am doing my first MGoT track day and wonder if there is an easy to fit tow-eye please? Car is MG B GT V8
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Re: Tow eye for track days

Post by Tom Ward »

I'm not aware of an off the shelf item which you could just bolt on. I've looked around the internet in the past for my car and I've struggled to find any pictures under the cars with them fitted which show exactly where they are attached. I'm not at the stage of needing one yet and there is some other welding to be done for seatbelt attachments etc so when that happens I'll discuss with my welder his thoughts on it.

AFAIK it's not a compulsory requirement for a track day but recommended. You might wish to go and see what others are doing. Either by entering a track day without one to begin with or go along to one without the car and spend the time chatting to other owners. Similarly if there is a sprint/hill climb or race meeting nearby in the interim you could do the same.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

We have discussed this previously on this forum, so you may find information by doing a search.

My 1972 BGT has "eyes" under the front bumper on each of the bumper irons. These are securely bolted to the front chassis legs and look pretty substantial to me.

There was discussion here about whether these were towing eyes or whether they were hold-down points for when the vehicle was in transit. I have never had to use them as towing eyes, but I think they would be up to the job?

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Post by Tom Ward »

The eyes were removed on slightly later cars. My 76 1800 doesn't have them and from the other posts by the OP his is the same year model as mine - albeit a V8 version.

They were hold down anchors for transportation and as such are located further into the chassis than a towing eye would be. If they are fitted then potentially a long towing strap of the type Demon Tweeks sell might be possible but would have to be carefully routed so as not to cause damage to surrounding bodywork when under load.
David Witham
Forename: David
Surname: Witham

Post by David Witham »

My Feb '74 chrome bumper roadster has "towing" eyes back and front fixed to the bumper irons. It was an export car so they my have been export only at the time. It is possible they were intended just for lashing but they are more substantial that the ones on the Jensen GT that I used to have. I have used them for towing successfully.

I have not done MGoT but I used to compete in the MGCC Speed Champion. When competing I wrapped these towing eyes in yellow insulating tape and had yellow arrows on the bumper pointing to them. The car was towed off at a sprint using the front ones.

Between 1980 and 1992 I had a 1966 B roadster. It had a towing eye fixed to the front cross member. It was made from flat plate and welded to the underside of the cross member protruding forwards.