Gear lever knob

Technical MGB discussion
1340fxd
Forename: Rene
Surname: Chinnery
MGCC Member: Yes

Gear lever knob

Post by 1340fxd »

I have just bought my first MGB - it is a 1976 rubber bumper (converted to chrome bumper) factory original GT V8. The gearbox is 4 speed with overdrive on 4th. Now for my need for help - the gear knob is an after-market affair that loosely sits on the gear stick and can be pulled off with ease. So I need a replacement but there is no thread on the gear stick - is that normal?

The gear stick has a lovely short throw which makes shifting a delight but maybe someone has cut it down and in the process removed the threaded part? :o
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Re: Gear lever knob

Post by Tom Ward »

Mine is a 1976 and there is a thread on the gear lever. Do you still have the plastic centre console in place? And does it still have the leather gaiter covering the lever? The amount of gear lever extending above the centre console isn't very long anyway with a nice short throw so I'm not really sure why it has been cut but that seems to be the case with yours.

Replacing the gear lever is quite straight forward from inside the car. Once you remove the gaiter and console there is a retaining plate which holds the lever in the 'remote control unit' part of the gearbox. The lever will slide out. On the lower ball is a little plastic bush. If your new lever doesn't come with this bush, get one as it should be replaced. Otherwise, like mine, it all rattles like crazy!

I can't access my car for a few weeks but someone on here might be able to measure the height of theirs.

Mine is not a V8 but is of the same vintage so I would imagine it is similar.
Dave Wheatley
Forename: Dave
Surname: Wheatley

Post by Dave Wheatley »

If the V8 is the same as the ordinary cars, it should have the overdrive switch on the gearlever knob. Is this the case?
1978 MGB GT
1967 Morris Minor convertible
1972 Ford Cortina
2000 Mercedese Benz SLK 230K
No modern!
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Dave, early overdrive switches were on the RHS of the dash. This is a modified car so the switch may be anywhere!
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
1340fxd
Forename: Rene
Surname: Chinnery

Post by 1340fxd »

Many thanks Tom and others. My car is a factory original V8 and it appears an owner has cut off the threaded part of the lever and fitted a clamping MOMO gear knob. The throw is obviously very short but I have to say, rather lovely so I'll keep it that way. The overdrive switch is on the left stalk - not sure if this is how it was from the factory as the car had been completely re-wired. My journey of discovery has started! 8-)
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

I believe that throughout the production of the factory V8s ( both Chrome & RB ) the overdrive switch was a stalk (combing overdrive, wipers & wash) part number BHA5251 which was also used for short period (1975 -76) for 4 cylinder cars other than NA (per Clausager).
Cheers
Charles
1980 Roadster
Randy Forbes
Forename: Randy
Surname: Forbes

Post by Randy Forbes »

1340fxd wrote: Fri Mar 03, 2023 7:22 pm Many thanks Tom and others. My car is a factory original V8 and it appears an owner has cut off the threaded part of the lever and fitted a clamping MOMO gear knob. The throw is obviously very short but I have to say, rather lovely so I'll keep it that way. The overdrive switch is on the left stalk - not sure if this is how it was from the factory as the car had been completely re-wired. My journey of discovery has started! 8-)
Since you want to keep the shorter lever, it wouldn't be too difficult of a job to rethread the end of the stick, allowing you to fit a secure threaded knob.

The shaft, IIRC, increases in diameter slightly past the factory threaded portion, so options are to go up one thread size, or to take the lever to a local machinist to turn down the stick to have the original thread size (which escapes me at the moment). A lot of aftermarket knobs are supplied with adapter bushings (for alternate thread sizes) so it's possible to swap over to a Metric thread, if that suits the existing diameter better.

In the past I have shortened many shift levers (MGB/MGC, Big Healey and BMW) and I always found the easiest way to do the threaded type was__depending on how much I'd shorten it__cut off all but a half-inch or so of the thread, leaving me with a good start to run my die further down to get the desired thread length. You only need about 1" maximum of thread length for a secure attachment of knob and jam-nut.

Alternatively, now would be a good time to source the lever and knob parts from a >78 model MGB, and swap the overdrive engagement switch to the top of the knob (easy task to reconfigure the wiring). Then you could use the former ovd stalk switch to control some driving/fog lights__through a relay__if desired ;)

BMWs with their clip-type attachment and isolated/bonded 2-piece shaft are a whole 'nother story...