Windscreen adjustment

Technical MGB discussion
Joeydunlop987654321
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Gillott

Windscreen adjustment

Post by Joeydunlop987654321 »

Hi all
I am building a 1970 MGB roadster using a British heritage bodyshell.
I am at the stage of installing quarter lights and whilst the near side fits nicely against the windscreen, th eoffside is too tight and any attempt to close the door pushes it downwards.
My question is what adjustment do i have, I cannot seem to adjust the quarter light backwards any more so do I attempt to move the screen forwards, is this something that can be done?
Would i need to elongate the mounting holes as there doesnt seem to be any wriggle room?
Thanks for any replys!
Andrew
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Windscreen adjustment

Post by Bumpa »

I can't recall if there is any wriggle room on the four bolts that hold the screen down, but somehow I doubt it. How are the door gaps front and rear on the offside? Are they equal? If the rear gap is slightly bigger than the front gap you could move the door rearwards a tiny amount - that's all it would need. You would have to slacken the six screws that hold the hinge to the door. Try to arrange a support under the door so that it doesn't flop when the screws are loosened. Of course loosening the door hinge can lead into all sorts of difficulties with door alignment so only do this if nothing else works.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Joeydunlop987654321
Forename: Andrew
Surname: Gillott

Post by Joeydunlop987654321 »

Door alignment is perfect so I am struggling now!
David Witham
Forename: David
Surname: Witham

Post by David Witham »

Where the 2 large bolts, each side, pass through the bodywork the holes are larger than the diameter of the bolt. So there is some flexibility available.

I suggest loosening the main bolts both sides and also the 2 smaller bolts in the middle. Sufficiently for the screen to move but not so its floppy. Then shut your doors and see if you still have the problem.
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Andrew
MG bodies are not the most dimentionally accurate. Even BMH struggle to get things to fit correctly when assemblng the bodies. My car has it sall original panels but still the near door was alway difficult to close due to the quarterlight being tight on the screen frame. The position of the quarter-light is effectively fixed by the two special bolts securing the quarter-light to the door frame at the top. (Where the plastic covers fit) My solution was to add a spacer between the quarter- light and door frame made from a 1mm piece of stainless sheet. This effectively moved the quarter-light back enough to enable the door to shut correctly.
Hope this is of help
Mike Barclay
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Just to follow on what Michael has posted, I found that shims made from aluminium or shim steel were invaluable in getting doors, quarter lights and tailgate to fit in any sort of reasonable position.
If you take a look at the gaps between the tops of the rear tyres and the edge of the rear wing, it will probably convince you how dimensionally accurate these bodyshells are.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear