Rubber Bumper Conversion to Chrome

General MGB discussion
Donie
Forename: Donal
Surname: Marron

Rubber Bumper Conversion to Chrome

Post by Donie »

I've searched but can't seem to find any mention of converting a rubber bumper late MGB to chrome.

Surely someone must have done this work.

I was prepared to leave the 1978 roadster as is with it's rubber bumpers, that is until I took them off, for overall paintwork.

The weight of them is quite alarming, to say the least,

It'ss like carrying around a couple of passengers.

So I either thin them down dramatically, or switch to chrome.

Then I'll need to lower the car, because apart from handling, they don't look right at the higher level, if they have chrome bumpers.

All comments invited.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Re: Rubber Bumper Conversion to Chrome

Post by Not_Anumber »

It is a well traveled road. There is a large amount of information out there on this.

Conversions kits including the bumpers are available from several sources,Moss, B Hive etc. Most conversions involve cutting back the front rails by a few inches as these extend right to the front on the RB cars and need to be cut back to allow space to fit a grille. It also usually involves a small amount of welding to add curved metal sections under the rear lights to make the back end look right.

I decided to go the RPS front/ rear route instead as it gets rid of the heavyweight bumpers without cutting or welding. It allows for a traditional looking mesh grille and the body coloured bumpers look traditional in a Sebringesq way. One thought was that leaving the bodywork otherwise unmodified means that rubber bumpers could always be refitted by a purist future owner.

Height, i bought lower front springs from the MGB Hive together with lowering blocks for the rear. Both were easy jobs to do with minimal time and tools. I didnt even have to use spring compressors for the front springs. Reducing the height to that of the CB cars just looks right. Id recommend it as a worthwhile conversion even if you leave the rubber bumpers on really.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Donie

Post by Donie »

Hello Chris,

Many thanks for your RPS suggestion, I hadn't come across that in my searches.

I'm having a good look at it, because I'm honestly not a fan of the Chrome conversion, since the later dashboard inside, will always let it down.

What was your experience with the RPS, can you remember?
Paul Heffernan
Forename: Paul
Surname: Heffernan

Post by Paul Heffernan »

My car was originally Chrome Bumper. The previous owner (a friend) had a conversion carried out as a part of a ground up, nut and bolt rebuild. He determined that the new Chrome Bumpers are of questionable quality, and the cost of repairing and re-chroming the originals was phrohibitive, so he decided on Sebring Style Valances.

What do you think?

IMG_3844.JPG
Attachments
Driveway1.jpg
Paul Scott
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Paul Scott »

RPS will be at MGB60 in September if you can make it Donie.

StaySafe & B Good

P
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Donie

Post by Donie »

Paul Heffernan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 pm My car was originally Chrome Bumper. The previous owner (a friend) had a conversion carried out as a part of a ground up, nut and bolt rebuild. He determined that the new Chrome Bumpers are of questionable quality, and the cost of repairing and re-chroming the originals was phrohibitive, so he decided on Sebring Style Valances.

What do you think?

ImageIMG_3844.JPG
Hello Paul,

That's certainly a conversion, and looks lovely, though probably an image too young looking for my vintage years., , if you get my meaing.

How is it all knitted together?

Is it glass fibre panels glassed onto the bodywork. Looks like a lot of bodywork.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Donie I can send you some photos of the way my RPS front looks and their fitting instructions if you PM me your email address. No bodywork required
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Allan T
Forename: Allan
Surname: Titmuss
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Allan T »

Scroll back a few months to my thread titled 'Harrington stainless steel bumpers'.

Very highly recommended product, first-class customer service, and they reached me in London from Vietnam in a week - it would have been five days if the shipper hadn't lost them in the airport in China.
someoneelse
Forename: Norman
Surname: Ball

Post by someoneelse »

Donie wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 3:09 pm I'm honestly not a fan of the Chrome conversion, since the later dashboard inside, will always let it down.
Donie,
for me it's not about trying to pass the car off as something else, it's about what looks better. IMHO the CB car looks much better and a RB dash is not important.
Paul Heffernan
Surname: Heffernan

Post by Paul Heffernan »

Donie wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:31 am
Paul Heffernan wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:40 pm My car was originally Chrome Bumper. The previous owner (a friend) had a conversion carried out as a part of a ground up, nut and bolt rebuild. He determined that the new Chrome Bumpers are of questionable quality, and the cost of repairing and re-chroming the originals was phrohibitive, so he decided on Sebring Style Valances.

What do you think?

ImageIMG_3844.JPG
Hello Paul,

That's certainly a conversion, and looks lovely, though probably an image too young looking for my vintage years., , if you get my meaing.

How is it all knitted together?

Is it glass fibre panels glassed onto the bodywork. Looks like a lot of bodywork.
Hi Donie,

Apologies for the late reply. Yes, they're glass fibre panels glued (Automotive glue) in place. I posted it purely to let you see an alternative to the more regular offerings. I see that you particularly like the Chrome Bumper look, and I'd not argue on that point. I do hope you find a solution that suits you.

Regards