Battery charging

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Battery charging

Post by GeoffK »

Hi
Is there an easier way of charging the battery other than the obvious one of removing the rear cushion etc? Geoff
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Battery charging

Post by Ian F »

Geoff, I have a CTEK charger/conditioner which comes with a charging lead which can be left permanently connected to the battery. The small connector sits just above the transmission tunnel on my BGT and is very inobtrusive.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Hi Ian. I suppose the black cable goes to any suitable point on the body or a point (ie seat mounting bolts)which are connected directly to the body. I have a std Halfords charger.
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

I think for charging a battery it's best to connect directly to the two battery posts. The CTEK cable does this. Not sure how you could rig a standard traditional charger.
The CTEK provides a low current and the cables are small and fit easily under the lid and the carpet. If you could fit a conventional charger with a plug and socket device then you perhaps could do something similar, but not sure about the safety etc.

Ian F
MGCC member
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Most modern cars with boot mounted or under seat mounted batteries have a positive terminal under the bonnet with a cover that needs to be lifted or slid to expose the terminal.
You could get something like that, securely mount it in a convenient location under the bonnet and run a suitably thick lead to the terminal on the starter to meet the heavy cable which runs to the battery +
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Would probably be cheaper and a better solution to buy a CTEK or similar, and use the supplied charging cable. Then the battery would be always charged and maintained in good condition.
Just my opinion of course!

Ian F
MGCC member
GeoffK

Post by GeoffK »

Progress to date. I have found a red cable of ‘main feed’ thickness about 12 inches long with proper connectors either end. Have secured one end onto the positive battery clamp securing bolt and fettled the other end to accept the charger crocodile. I have run the cable as Ian suggested and it just pops out on the top of the transmission tunnel. For safety I have fitted a plastic cap to the cable end. If I did the same for the negative side, do you think that would work? I understand that connecting a charger to a disconnected battery is always best, but we all know that the MG engineers had an off day when locating the ‘B’s batteries.
Vic Butler
Forename: Vic
Surname: Butler
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Vic Butler »

I use an Accumate smart charger. It's hard wired to the battery and the connector is behind the driver's seat. Just unplug before driving off and plug in on return. The battery is a red top AGM totally maintenance free Optima.
I have also a cordless C Tek charger which I use on the Land Rover after a long period of inactivity. The Land Rover is outside and would be awkward for a mains powered charger with an extension lead especially if it's raining. 15 minutes is all that's needed to bring the battery up enough to start the engine. A hi torque starter motor helps. The Land Rover battery is an Odyssey AGM.
1977 Stage 2 MGB GT
1975 SWB Series 3 Land Rover with a later 2.5 petrol engine
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

I guess that would work, but it's not something I would recommend!
I think the cables of such a set up only need to be the same gauge as the battery charger cables?
My main concern would be a short causing melting or a fire, especially if you have heavy duty cables with open ends. Could short through any metal of the body shell?

Ian F
MGCC member
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Vic's arrangement for the B is essentially the same as mine.

Ian F
MGCC member