Cylinders 3 & 4 Not Adding Much

Technical MGB discussion
Donie
Forename: Donal
Surname: Marron

Re: Cylinders 3 & 4 Not Adding Much

Post by Donie »

Yes, or maybe even wear in the rocker shaft itself.

I''ll try and run it on a very slow idle, with the rocker cover off, and hold each follower in turn, to see if I can locate the culprit.
ChargedAutoGT
Forename: Graham
Surname: Moore
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by ChargedAutoGT »

nothing wrong with hif4's. in fact the spindles wear much better than hs carbs due to spring arrangements and that's the point where carbs wear the most.

just like any carb, they need to be clean, and adjusted to work well. 17 years standing (and were they drained when car was put away?) will not do any carb and good. dried up fuel needs cleaning out as it can make a gooey mess. can of carb cleaner is £5. works very well.

6's on a stock engine will give you more flow at high speed/rpm but at the cost of loss of low rpm torque.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

How did you correct the rear carb Donie ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Donie
Forename: Donal
Surname: Marron

Post by Donie »

Chris

With just a turn of the enricher screw, (just under the dashpot right side), which in turn raises the piston a fraction, to allow a little more fuel to get sucked in.

I only did a rough balancing of the air volume with a short length of hose pipe to my ear, and other end stuck in the carb, and listening carefully to both carbs.

It's not an exact balance yet, but close enough, and since the inlet manifold is also a balance tube (as opposed to two separate manifolds) it's close enough for the moment.

Now, next job is to replace a worn rocker/cam follower.