HS4 SU Carburettors

Technical MGB discussion
Andyh
Forename: Andy
Surname: Hillman
MGOC Member: Yes

HS4 SU Carburettors

Post by Andyh »

I am assisting a friend who has a 1967 MGB GT.
We need advice on servicing the carburettors of the car.
Both carburettors are leaking fuel badly, fuel is also pouring through into the cylinders and as a result, the carburettors cannot be tuned.
I have been advised that we would need a carburettor rebuild kit CRK254, which I understand includes new jets and needles. Standard needle is a 5.
The carbs are AUD278R.
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: HS4 SU Carburettors

Post by Bumpa »

These carbs are very simple units. The usual leak point is the narrow tube that connects the remote float chamber to the jet. At the float chamber end there is a seal which can fail. I suggest you read the several pages you can find here http://sucarb.co.uk/technical-hs-type-c ... djustments Burlen, whose website that is, can supply any spares needed.

Or you can do what I did and send them to Tony Brough at Birmingham Carburettors https://www.facebook.com/BirminghamCarbs The carbs will come back just like new. The photo is of my carbs when they were returned to me.
IMG-20220421-WA0003.jpg
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: HS4 SU Carburettors

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Andy
Sounds like the needles in the float chambers are not sealing causing the carbs to flood. Could be either the valves or the floats have a leak. The other common problem is worn throttle spindles allowing too much air into the carbs. It is usually the spindles that wear and not the carb bodies. Burlen fuels sell complete rebuild kits for your carbs including new bushes if required. Give them a call and they can advise on what is needed.(017722 412500) If your car is fitted with the GB engine then the correct needle is FX –Standard No 6 Rich. Stripping the carbs down and rebuilding should only take couple of hours. If you Strip one carb at a time you can use the other as a reference for reassembly.
Mike Barclay