What is this thing attached to the lid with 2 screws and do I need it? '77 MGB

Post by HalfFast »

Attachments
PXL_20220508_060456826.jpg
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: What is this thing attached to the lid with 2 screws and do I need it? '77 MGB

Post by Ian F »

I see no-one has answered............

You need to provide a bit more information. What is "the lid"? I don't recognise that. I can see what appears to be a clutch MC, but where is the brake MC?

It all looks a bit non-original to me, so it could be anything.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Re: What is this thing attached to the lid with 2 screws and do I need it? '77 MGB

Post by Bumpa »

Ian, it is a late model LHD MGB with the servo in-line between the pedal and the master cylinder. I have installed the same set up in my V8 conversion. In the bottom of the picture you can see the beginnings of the servo and the master cylinder is attached in front of that. You can see the item in the top of the photo I've attached. Obviously my car is RHD.

As to what the thingy is - I've no idea.
Small Bonnet.jpg
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

Mike is correct - the American market cars had the dual circuit brake set up some time before the UK cars. The lid is the top of the pedal box.
The thing attached with two screws to the lid appears to be an original fitting as i can just see it in a picture of a 1980 American car in Clausager's book "Original MGB" but can't identify it's purpose.
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Charles Farran
Forename: Charles
Surname: Farran
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Charles Farran »

I have found reference to this thing in the ROM. It is part of the emission control & appears to be something to do with the exhaust gas recirculation valve (E.G.R).
Cheers,
Charles
1980 Roadster
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks everyone. Thankfully I don't have any of those complications!!

Ian F
MGCC member
HalfFast
Forename: Gary
Surname: Tanenbaum

Post by HalfFast »

Thanks for looking, My uneducated guess is a fuel cutoff valve but who knows. I just replaced the clutch master and I'd like to remove all the old smog related equipment left over from when the car was California legal. as far as I can tell it's a rubber bumper 1977 California car, I got it about a dozen years ago from a police auction, it was somehow listed as a 1971 and is titled that way. therefore, no smog equipment needed.
HalfFast

Post by HalfFast »

PXL_20220514_152238410.jpg
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Thanks for the photo, I can see the layout now!
That looks like a good engine with the sidedraught carb fitted (Weber or Dellorto?).
If you can remove the emission control fittings it would make a much better drive.
Are you in California?

Ian F
MGCC member
HalfFast

Post by HalfFast »

Yes California. born, raised and retired. Pre 1974 cars don't need smog equipment and this is titled as a 1971 so I will try to treat it as such. We spent many weekends carving the local canyon roads but it has been garaged for the last 5 years. It didn't want to start when I first bought it so I blew compressed air from the fuel tank up to the Weber. Runs great until it sits and loses it's prime. I painted the car (rattle cans), replaced the starter motor and a new electric fuel pump, tires etc. Now the clutch pedal is floppy. I replaced the master and I hope to have the slave done today. I wonder if I can find a thermostat housing that doesn't include the air pump bracket and remove the unused belt pulley. I've just got the slave disconnected except for the top hose fitting. not real easy for this crippled up old timer. Everything looks great under the car except the oily mess from the slave.
comments, suggestions, complaints are all welcome.