Technical MGB discussion
lightning
Forename: Brian
Surname: Bailey
MGCC Member: Yes

single 12v Battery

Post by lightning »

Hi folks,
I would like information on what 12v battery will fit into the battery well. The one I have was bought in France when I converted to a single battery, (it only lasted 13years ) so a current brand and serial no. would be very useful, and one that could maybe obtained from Halfords. Many thanks.
Paul Hollingworth
Forename: Paul
Surname: Hollingworth

Re: single 12v Battery

Post by Paul Hollingworth »

There is an article about this on the register website :-
https://www.mgb-register.org/fitting-a- ... umper-mgb/

I have a type 063 in my 71 B only I had to turn it 90 deg because the positive lead wouldn't reach. You have to move the earth strap and modify the clamp. It fits easily and has plenty of cranking power. I used to find nearly every year that my expensive 6V batteries had a duff cell.
1971 MGB roadster & 2006 MGTF
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Several post type lead acid batteries fit. Mine is currently running a John Dere branded battery that I had previously used on a 1983 Ford Capri. A quick search of Tayna Batteries' site showed the Lucas LS603, a Yuasa YBX3063SMF, a Numax 46D26L and several others having been successfully supplied for 12 volt MGBs.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Michael Barclay
Forename: Michael
Surname: Barclay

Post by Michael Barclay »

Hi Chris
The type 202 12v battery is exctly the same size as a single 6 volt battery so will fit as a direct replacement using the existing battery clamps. The MGB electrics are very simple so with no excessive current sapping equipment like air con , electric windows etc the Ah of the battery is not that important . What is more importanton an MGB is the CCA (Cold cranking current). On a 202 battery this is 360A which is more than adequate to turn over an MGB. Eurocar parts currently habe the Yuasa version with 4 year warranty for GBP68.
Hope this helps.
Mike Barclay