Parabolic springs - worthwhile upgrade?

Technical MGB discussion
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

Parabolic springs - worthwhile upgrade?

Post by DickBrowne »

I’m currently running standard springs on my 1967 GT with telescopic dampers rather than the standard ones - I believe they are Gaz, if that helps.

It’s a bit crashy and bouncy over lumps and bumps, and I’ve been offered an almost new pair of parabolic springs for around £100. The guy selling me tells me that they will be far more compliant and allow the dampers to work properly, smoothing the tide and making it less bouncy as there will be less stiction.

Has anybody changed to parabolics? Did it make much difference and is it worth the £100 and the afternoons spannering it will take to fit them?
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Parabolic springs - worthwhile upgrade?

Post by Bumpa »

I'd like to know this too. My roadster is still on multi-leaf springs.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Steven collins
Forename: Steve
Surname: Collins
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Steven collins »

Have had parabolic’s on my roadster over 12 years find them quite comfortable over lumps and bumps, goes round the corners better as well I find - less roll. Car feels quite a bit more stable.
My personal thoughts are that it’s money well spent.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Dick, I have Spax telescopics on the rear of my BGT and have found that they work best on the softest setting. On a smooth circuit they can be stiffened up a bit, but for road use soft is best. My leaf springs are newish OE spec.

Ian F.
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Petejev
Forename: Peter
Surname: Jevons
MGOC Member: Yes

Post by Petejev »

Well after my previous post regarding parabolics with no replies , I decided to fit parabolic springs and GAZ dampers to my 71 BGT, had it all fitted up last Wednesday with no real problems getting the old springs etc off. Initially did a loose fit and drove the car a few miles, after a full tighten up today I took the car for a 10 mile run on bumpy lanes, what a transformation! smooth over the bumps and no crashing into potholes. So much more comfort, In my opinion well worth the effort. If you are buying 2nd hand parabolic springs check they are the correct ones for your car, each set of springs are engineered to specific models. Also worth fitting poly bushes to rear shackels and centre spring mounting. MGOC do a complete set.
Pete
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

Post by DickBrowne »

Hmmm, lots to think about there. I do think it’s worth the £100 investment to improve the ride to that extent.

Thank you for the input everybody
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Are telescopic dampers a worthwhile upgrade ? Is there much involved in the conversion ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF