A mild irritant resolved

Technical MGB discussion
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

A mild irritant resolved

Post by DickBrowne »

One of the mildly irritating things I find with any car is a lack of what is known as “cubby space”.

You know, sunglasses, wallet, beagle, the sort of things you don’t want roaming free around the car when you’re off on a driving adventure.

I’m sorry to report that my GT is possibly amongst the worst offenders in this regard, with a glove box and, well, nothing else really.

I am obviously aware of the availability of map storage pockets for the MG, and that was the way I decided to go, but I didn’t want brand new because, firstly, they would be way shinier than the interior of my car and, just as significantly, they’re not cheap! (And I’m quite tight).

About two or three months back I saw an eBay listing for three pockets, all a bit scruffy, but a decent price, and a plan was hatched, a plan which went the way of all things planny.

My thoughts were that I’d pop one in the passenger side, in the traditional manner, another would go behind the passenger seat by my charging socket, which would hold the extension lead for the 12v outlet required by my daughter whenever she comes out with me and the third… well,I reckoned that would fit nicely in the drivers side footwell, wouldn’t it?

This weekend is as looking reasonable weather-wise, so out with the black and decker.

Passenger side, no problem.
18C08AC7-B5BF-436D-ACB7-318346CB9A04.jpeg
Rear seat, similarly simple, other than a lifetime of rugby giving me shoulders which really don’t fit into these spaces.
035E0ADA-5142-4F1B-938B-949C757593FA.jpeg
Can anybody guess the issue with the drivers side? Yup, size 12 feet and a lack of room really isn’t a good idea. The pocket was way too large for the gap.

No worries though, these pockets were cheap enough to take a risk with, so a few minutes with a dremel and a bending mandrel and…
8F5C9AAE-2B34-4394-AEBD-1B6F862EA420.jpeg
Sunglasses storage! Maybe even wallet too - the glove box is partly liberated, my recently fitted armrest is now devoid of charger cable and I’m looking for something to keep in all that space!

And peace returns, chez Browne.
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: A mild irritant resolved

Post by Tom Brearley »

That's great.

You really should submit these mini-articles to the Club magazine, Dick. They're very entertaining and would make an excellent regular column. (I don't know if the editor or the MGB Register ed. frequent this forum?)

My solution to this problem was to cut down a map pocket and fit it to the driver's side door.
thumbnail.jpg
It also hides the tatty door card in this area.
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

Post by DickBrowne »

Thank you Tom, I’m pleased you enjoyed it!

Your pocket, however, looks much neater than mine. I wish I’d thought of the door
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

Tom, what vehicle did the pocket come from please?
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
Tom Brearley
Forename: Tom
Surname: Brearley

Post by Tom Brearley »

It's a standard MGB map pocket which I cut down to size. I used the lower half and moved the finisher down, although thinking about it, it might have been easier to have used the top half and glued in a new base.
1973 MGB GT
Mallard Green / Autumn Leaf
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

You can send your mods to me and I will pop them into the eNewsletter and I will share them with David Broadhurst. If we have space in the Safety Fast newsletters I'm sure we can fit them in at some point.

Dick knows how to get hold of me :0)

I always try to link to the forum posts during the month in the eNewsletter and I know subscribers go from the eNewsletter to the forum.

StaySafe & B Good

Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

I very much like the idea of both the cut down map packet for the drivers side footwell and also adding pockets on the doors. Do the door pockets in that position allow sufficient clearance for the seats even when they are fully forward ?

I just spotted and ordered a set of door pockets from an Austin 1800 on Ebay. They will need cutting down and their colour changing but hopefully wont look too far removed from MGB ones.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF