Indicator splicing point

Technical MGB discussion
DickBrowne
Forename: Richard
Surname: Browne

Indicator splicing point

Post by DickBrowne »

Afternoon all. Having finally sorted the steering issues on my GT, it rewarded me by not indicating left.

The front indicator is flashing away like billy-o, but nothing from the rear.

I’ve checked the rear bulb and it’s fine, I’ve even swapped it out and still nothing. Looking at the wiring diagram, the feed comes out of the flasher unit, goes to the indicator stalk and then out to a point where it splits to the front and rear.

I’m struggling to find where this split occurs, and my plan is to test the voltage at that point and maybe splice in a new wire if needed.

It’s a 1967 GT in case that makes a difference - if anyone can let me know where to look for that split, I’d appreciate it.
Steef
Forename: Steef
Surname: van den Brink
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Indicator splicing point

Post by Steef »

Dick, are you sure that the ground connection of the lamp is not interrupted?
The connection (junction) of the front and rear direction indicators can be found on the right in the engine compartment near the bulkhead. There is a collection of bullet connectors that connect the rear harness to the main harness. It is the connector with the (three) red/green wires.
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

If nothing else has been disturbed on the vehicle it does sound like you have accidentally pulled on the loom whilst working on the steering and this has slightly separated a bullet connector. . Go through all bullet connectors in line with any parts of the loom where you were working. Ensure they are all thoroughly pushed together and that should do the trick.
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Bumpa »

As other have said, it probably is the bullet connector, but earthing of the lamp unit can be an issue. I always run a proper earth wire from the units, front and rear, to a good earthing point.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.
DickBrowne

Post by DickBrowne »

Thanks all - looks like a lovely day today, so the car will be out on the drive.

The steering column is a good call - I had to cut the toes which held the cables against the column and if that front-back splice happens at that point, that’s my favourite cause right now.

The earth was my first thought when the bulb looked good, but I’ve already eliminated that with a meter from the positive terminal to a known good earth.

More news as it happens!
DickBrowne

Post by DickBrowne »

Oh, and thank you Steef for the location info - I was hoping it wouldn’t be there as the wiring around that point is a bit of a mess and also mainly hidden behind the brake servo (added by the previous owner and from a later car). I did tidy that wiring when I changed the oil lines, so that is also a good place to check
DickBrowne

Post by DickBrowne »

Top marks go to Steef today!

Thank he problem was the bullet connector by the master cylinder - it needed pulling apart and cleaning and all became well in my world. So, I changed my mirrors from bullets (which I bought new last October) to original Tex style ones (which were on the car when I bought it), although I did need to buy new ones because the mounts for the originals fell apart when I took the original mirrors off… live and learn, eh?

Also fitted a catch tank for the radiator - just a Tudor bottle, same as the washer bottle, which I bought at the NEC last weekend.

Now on a test drive to, well, to John Lewis so that Mrs. Browne can pick up some lipstick.

Thanks again,everyone