Fuel System for 80 MG B

Technical MGB discussion
Zach_Hallett
Forename: Zachary
Surname: Hallett

Fuel System for 80 MG B

Post by Zach_Hallett »

Hey everyone, new here so pardon if I make any mistakes.

I just purchased an 80 MG B and the previous owner removed what seems to be the majority of the fuel system. Before I start throwing all the parts at the project, is there anything I should know before tackling it?

I know I need the fuel tank and what not, sending unit, I've got the circular expansion tank I think it is? And then somewhere I need a pump, filter, and then to get it to the carb.

I've been looking at moss motors to see what I need. Anything I truly don't need? Just would like to get it running and driving. Thanks in advance and any help is greatly appreciated!
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott
MGCC Member: Yes

Re: Fuel System for 80 MG B

Post by Paul Scott »

Welcome Zach,
Is this a UK car?

Drop me an email I will send you some useful stuff to help you on your journey.
webmaster@mgb-register.org

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Zach_Hallett
Forename: Zachary
Surname: Hallett

Post by Zach_Hallett »

Paul,

I don't believe so. It is left hand drive and the titling is consistently here in the states. I am out in Utah.

Awesome, thank you, there should be one in your inbox now, thanks!

-Zach
Paul Scott
Forename: Paul
Surname: Scott

Post by Paul Scott »

I have sent you some info, I'm sure someone will drop in soon and point you in the right direction.

The petrol pump should pop up in the boot/trunk, well the ectrical part. Then should be visible from the rear wheel arch passenger side on your LHD car. Easier to see once jacked up and the rear wheel removed.
A hard fuel line will run from that area to the front of the car.

Which type of carb do you have? Is there any emmision stuff under the bonnet/hood?

Maybe post some pics of the engine bay and an empty boot/trunk.

StaySafe & B Good

Regards
Paul
1975 MGB Roadster
Webguru for MGB Register
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Zach, and welcome. I would recommend looking at the Moss Motors website, or better still get a hard copy of their parts book for the MGB. These are based on the official MG parts manuals and illustrate all the parts.

What you purchase will depend on whether you are obliged to put the B back into USA spec. or whether you can build it as you please. I am not sure what is legislated in Utah.

If possible I would recommend building as UK spec. and even "upgrading" to something similar to pre-emission standard. The B will be much livelier and more fun to drive without all the Federal mandated emission control equipment on board.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Bumpa
Forename: Mike
Surname: Howlett

Post by Bumpa »

I agree with Ian. The late model US cars were strangled and produced much less power than their UK counterparts. If your state allows you to, put it back to UK spec with twin SU carbs and no emission equipment.
Mike
1969 MGB GTV8 3.9 Conversion. Many classics have passed through my hands but the faithful BGT V8 is the last man standing.