Strobe timing at tickover or high revs

Technical MGB discussion
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Re: Strobe timing at tickover or high revs

Post by GeoffK »

Guys . Thanks for your masses of information with regards to ignition timing. Underlying all of this my initial concern was getting a smooth enough tick over at 600rpm to set the timing accurately enough. Ian and Paul have given settings for a more steady tick over at 750 and 1000rpm which I feel a lot more comfortable with. The settings of 17 and 20 degrees respectively also seem to stack up with Paul’s graph. I feel far happier now. My only concern now is that my engine (that does not have a number plate)is an 18V!!! Thanks again for all your input. Geoff
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F
MGCC Member: Yes

Post by Ian F »

That's good Geoff, I think we got close enough in the end, and probably all learned a bit,
Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
GeoffK
Forename: Geoff
Surname: Kearn

Post by GeoffK »

Now decided on 20 degrees @ 1000rpm as it is easier to remember and there is a 20 degree pointer at the opposite end of the’comb’ to the tdc mark. It is as easy to set @ 20 degrees as setting at tdc which has saved me £12 by buying a Powerspark TL100 rather than a TL200 (which has the setting dial). Timing now set and carbs reset and the engine is running really well. Thanks for your input. Bought the strobe from Powerspark in Bromsgrove and the chap said that the best connection point for an MGB is to connect the red wire to the positive terminal on the ignition coil and the black to a suitable earth - works a treat. Also asked about reliability of electronic with regards to potential failure leaving you stranded. He said that all modern cars have electronic ignition and what happens if the condenser fails- you are as bad burnt as scalded. So with the spare distributor in the boot the next purchase is an electronic conversion kit to get all the benefits with a backup. Sounds like a win-win. Cheers Geoff
Statler
Forename: Stephen
Surname: McClune

Post by Statler »

Interesting read guys, thank you.

Geoff, I have new Powerspark distributors in both the B and Midget. Plus the timing light, plug leads and Viper coils.
Jon is very helpful and spent quite a bit of time helping me decide what I needed. It was he that advised me on bypassing the resistor wire in the loom on the B while wiring up the new coil.

I don't think you'll be disappointed with his products.