Steven collins
Forename: Steve
Surname: Collins
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Cellulose paint suppliers

Post by Steven collins »

HAPPY NEW YEAR to one and all.

Does any one know of a company in North Essex/Suffolk that can test for colour match then mix and supply Cellulose paint?
I want to respray a few panels on the MG, May even end up as a full respray!! however, the paint is not a standard Red. Local garage tested the paint but could only get a 97% match.
Many thanks in advance.
Steve.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Re: Cellulose paint suppliers

Post by Ian F »

Hi Steve, I can't answer your question directly as I am just North of Edinburgh, but what I can say is that getting a good colour match is extremely tricky. Especially so for red colours as reds tend to fade and change colour. Additionally, reds are translucent and the finished colour depends very much on the colour of the primer/basecoat underneath.
There are a number of companies I have used for cellulose, I can give you some contact details if you wish, but you probably have them already.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

Thanks Ian,
Yes fully aware of how difficult Red is to match especially when you put it under sodium light!! That’s why I may have to end up respraying the whole car. Incidentally the colour is bright red with an unspecified amount of orange mixed in!!
You never know the paint suppliers up where you are just might be better than down here…
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Steven.

Your local auto paint supplier should be able to identify a close match if you take a panel along (I took my midget boot lid to get a match). Technology these days can work wonders.
But then your problem will be that they probably will not be able to supply cellulose. If you can get a name and code of a colour match, you could approach the cellulose suppliers and see if they can produce that formulation. Buy a half litre initially and see how well it matches.
I have had good service from HMG paints in Manchester. They do mail order and having tried most of the other suppliers, I would recommend them.

Ian F
MGCC member
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

If I cannot find a more local supplier then I will give them a call.
Will let you know how I get on…
For a full respray and say minimum of 4/5 coats would 5ltrs be enough for a roadster?
Not_Anumber
Forename: Chris
Surname: S

Post by Not_Anumber »

Morelli in Wickford are car paint stockists. Ive only ever heard good things said about them.

Any reason why you are going for old school cellulose rather than acrylic ?
1979 MGB GT
2003 MG TF
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Chris,

I'm interested to hear about acrylic paint for the B? I've generally used cellulose because it's relatively (!) non-toxic - no isocyanates, and it's easy to apply and to rectify if any problems/stone chips etc.
Does acrylic need a two-pack lacquer to finish?

Ian F
MGCC member
Ian F

Post by Ian F »

P.s. in the MGB workshop manual cellulose paint is specified for refinishing. Ault and Wiborg, long since deceased.

Ian F
MGCC member
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

Chris,
The reason for using Cellulose is exactly as Ian has said -
It's relatively non-toxic, it's easy to apply. As I’m not a “professional” paint sprayer less to go wrong - plus the car is already coated in cellulose so would like to keep it the same.
Unless there is a kind hearted person out there who wants to volunteer their paint spraying expertise and time ☺️😉
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Post by Tom Ward »

You could try these people

http://carspaints.com/

They have branches dotted around Essex and in Ipswich. My vermillion GT is looking resplendent in its new paint job using paint from their latchingdon branch. Mine was professionally painted so I don’t know for certain he used cellulose but I think he did. Mine is also a factory colour but the match was perfect. They should be able to find your colour for you.