Steven collins
Forename: Steve
Surname: Collins
MGCC Member: Yes
MGOC Member: Yes

Re: Cellulose paint suppliers

Post by Steven collins »

Thank Tom,
Do you have a Roadster or GT? How much paint did you purchase, I was going to respray a few panels but being Red/Orange in colour it might be easier to respray the whole car, at least that way ALL the panels should be the same in shade/colour!! So want to ensure I have enough for say 4/5 coats and a bit more spare for touching up stone chips etc in the future.
Tom Ward
Forename: Tom
Surname: Ward

Post by Tom Ward »

Hi Steven

I'm afraid I can't give you a paint quantity at present as the car is tucked away in my Dad's garage in south Essex and I am at home in Ipswich which is why we used a painter local to him who sourced the paint directly. I'm sure he will have put on the receipt how much paint he bought but I don't have that here. I'll see what I can find out but it may take a little while.

Mine wasn't a full respray. I had fitted Sebring valences and patched up the rear quarter so he only painted the lower half, oh and the bonnet in black!
MGB3_LI.jpg
MGB2_LI.jpg
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

That’s ok, no hurry as and when as they say…
That looks really good, you must be pleased on the finish.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Steven, paint suppliers generally provide their paints in 1, 2.5, or 5 litre tins. I did my BGT with 5 litres, that was all external surfaces as I wasn't changing the colour.
I would expect 5 litres to be enough for you, but if you buy just before doing the job, and then find you don't have enough, you could order another batch from the same supplier and it should be a good match.
Get best quality thinners. Anti-bloom can be useful for enthusiast sprayers. Ensure good ventilation and be aware that the fumes can not only damage your health but can also be an explosive/fire hazard if allowed to accumulate.

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

I was thinking of 5ltrs as that should be more than enough and give me some spare. A good friend of mine has a compressor, spray gun and all the other gear including safety suit and mask so I would be ok there, just have to learn (shown) how to use it properly 🥴 spraying will no doubt be done under a makeshift covered area outside as the garage isn’t wide enough for all round access in one go. Before all that of course I will have to strip all chrome, lights and windscreen prior to rubbing down and priming. Lots to do - plenty of time (well hopefully) to do it in.
Statler
Forename: Stephen
Surname: McClune

Post by Statler »

Interested to see how you get on with this Steven

My young lad has all the spray gear and we're planning to do the Midget first as it won't be a showroom finish.
An air fed mask is a must, especially with modern two pack paints which are full of dangerous components.

If that works out we may well tackle the B because it's impossible to match up the current colour after 22 years.
Ian F
Forename: Ian
Surname: F

Post by Ian F »

Hi Steven, good luck with the job! I would definitely recommend some test pieces first, on horizontal and vertical surfaces. Getting the paint viscosity right is a key element, using a viscosity cup preferably.

For the actual painting I would recommend breaking the job down into individual panels, and letting each dry before moving on. This lessens the concentrations of overspray and fumes which build up.
You will get some overspray/dry spray at the individual panel edges, but with cellulose this can easily be polished out. You will definitely need a good supply of fine wet and dry paper and cutting/polishing compound!

Ian F
MGCC member
1972 BGT, Blaze, Navy trim, recessed grill
1961 Midget, 948cc, Clipper Blue, Blue trim and weather gear
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

Sounds like I have a lot of “homework” to do before attempting the respray 😮😥🤦‍♂️ Still nothing ventured nothing gained..
Thanks for your input, it’s greatly appreciated.
B Faiers
Forename: Barry
Surname: Faiers

Post by B Faiers »

You could try:
www.brookspaints.com I've had colours matched by them. They are about a mile from M25 J28 in Essex
1958 MGA Coupe
1926 MG 14/28 Bullnose
2023 MG HS Exclusive
2003 MG ZS180
Steven collins

Post by Steven collins »

Thanks for the info Barry,
They are only about 18 miles from me so gives me 2/3 different supplier options.
As previously said will let you know who I choose and how I get on in the next few months ( it’s going to be a slow progress job)
Did get some good vibes from Carspaints in Ipswich very helpful chap just need to find something on the car that they can scan for colour mix and match.